Italian Wedding Soup
with meatballs / mushrooms
With meatballs from earlier in the week, this classic Italian soup is loaded with colorful vegetables and mushrooms for some extra substance. This soup was last featured here.
Smarts: This recipe could be made in the Instant Pot. For tips, join the Cook Smarts Instant Pot Facebook Group.
- Turkey, ground - 1 lb (look for ground dark meat turkey if available)
- Eggs - 1
- Almond flour - 3 Tbsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 1/4 cup
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Carrots - 8 oz, chopped
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 1 Tbsp
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Stock, any type - 4 cups
- Turkey meatballs (ingredients listed separately) - ~12, halved
- Baby spinach - 5 oz
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Onions / Carrots - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Slice mushrooms, if not pre-sliced. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Make meatballs - (Skip if made ahead for Monday.) Mix ground turkey with eggs, almond flour, salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Form into 1.5" / 4 cm meatballs. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat.
- If meatballs were not cooked ahead (for Monday): Add cooking oil and then meatballs to Dutch oven. Sear until golden brown on a few sides, ~5 minutes. Pour stock (portion for meatballs) into pan with meatballs. Lower heat to medium and cover with a lid. Cook, covered, for another 6 to 8 minutes until meatballs are cooked through. Set meatballs aside and return Dutch oven to heat. When meatballs are cool enough to handle, slice in half.
- To heated Dutch oven, add olive oil. Add onions and carrots with a pinch of salt. Saute until softened, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, and oregano. Stir until fragrant, ~1 minute more.
- Add stock (portion for soup) and bring to a simmer.
- Add meatballs and spinach. Continue to simmer soup until spinach cooks down and meatballs are warmed through.
- Move soup off heat and stir in lemon juice. Taste and season with some salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Enjoy!
One of my husbands new favorite soups!0 Helpful
great flavor and came together quickly. I doubled the spices and husband and kids ate it up.0 Helpful
Served with sliced fake sausage coins I fried up separately b/c the store was out of GimmeLean Veg Sausage0 Helpful
Easy and comforting but not especially flavorful. Maybe more spices?0 Helpful
I loved this and was super easy given I had made the meatballs ahead of time. Unfortunately, my 6-year-old didn't like it; the 3-year-old did!0 Helpful
Used premade frozen meatballs which saved me some time. Next time will add some garlic and maybe a can of diced tomatoes.0 Helpful