Honey Adobo Chopped Chicken Salad
with avocado / bell peppers / pepitas
- Bell peppers, red - 1, sliced
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, chopped
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts combined
- Lettuce, romaine - 1 heart, chopped
- Cucumbers - 8 oz, diced
- Tomatoes, grape or cherry (opt) - 1 cup, halved
- Avocados - 1, cubed
- Limes - 1/2, wedges
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Pepitas / pumpkin seeds - 1/3 cup
- Vinegar, red wine - 2 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Adobo sauce - 2 tsp (from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo)
- Paprika, smoked - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Make Adobo marinade / dressing - Whisk together vinegar, honey, adobo sauce, and paprika. Add oil (portion for marinade / dressing) while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers - Slice bell peppers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Marinate chicken - Chop chicken into bite-sized pieces and tenderize with a fork. Combine with half the Adobo marinade / dressing (reserve the other half). Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Green onions / Lettuce / Cucumbers / Tomatoes (if using) / Avocados / Limes - Prep as directed.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add oil (for salad). Use a slotted spoon to remove chicken from marinade (discard marinade) and transfer to heated skillet. Saute until chicken is cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes. Season with some salt and pepper as it cooks.
- Make salad by combining lettuce, cucumbers, bell peppers, green onions, tomatoes, and avocados. Add dressing until dressed to your liking.
- Top salad with chicken and pepitas. Serve with lime wedges on the side. Enjoy!
I love this salad. It's easy and filling.0 Helpful
We made the original version, but with dairy free options. We used DF sour cream and dairy free Cheddar cheese. My husband just eye balled the marinade/dressing. This recipe is so delicious!! This is just like a southwest salad. We will definitely make this again and again. Definite keeper and such a fast meal to put together.0 Helpful
This is on heavy rotation in our house. Filling and delicious while also being light and refreshing. Our kids love to take the chicken, beans and corn and make burritos.0 Helpful
Very good and filling veggie salad!0 Helpful
I wish I had made a little more dressing, but this was a very delicious salad, and easy to make quickly.0 Helpful
This is one of the best salads I've ever had. Definitely restaurant worthy and super satisfying.0 Helpful