Lentil and Cheese Quesadilla with Honey Adobo Sauce
with pear and celery slaw
Not your ordinary quesadillas! Loaded with protein-packed lentils and served with a sweet and spicy dipping sauce, these quesadillas are flavorful and filling. The fresh, unique slaw is great served on top of the quesadilla slices or enjoyed on the side.
Pear and Celery Slaw:
- Celery - 3 ribs , julienned
- Pears, Asian - 1 , julienned
- Lemon juice - 2 Tbsp
- Maple syrup - 2 tsp
Lentil and Cheese Quesadilla:
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, green and white parts combined
- Corn kernels, frozen or canned - 1 cup
- Lentils, cooked - 2 cups (use pre-cooked lentils or if cooking from dried, use half the amount of dried and prepare according to package directions)
- Cheese, shredded mild cheddar - 8 oz
- Tortillas, taco-sized corn or flour - 12
Honey Adobo Sauce:
- Sour cream - 1/2 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Vinegar, red wine - 4 tsp
- Adobo sauce - 2 tsp (from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo)
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Make honey adobo sauce - Whisk together sour cream, vinegar, adobo sauce, honey, and paprika. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Celery / Pears / Green onions - Prep as directed.
- Make slaw - Combine celery, pears, lemon juice, maple syrup, and some salt.
- Corn - If using frozen, defrost. If using canned, drain and rinse.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Combine corn, lentils, green onions, and cheese.
- Heat a griddle or large skillet over medium heat. (Cook as many quesadillas at a time as your cooking surface will allow.) Place a tortilla on the heated surface. Fill it with lentil / cheese mixture, spreading the filling out nearly to the edges. Top with another tortilla.
- Cook until the bottom tortilla is golden brown and then flip to cook on the other side.
- Transfer quesadillas to a cutting board and slice into wedges.
- Serve quesadillas with Honey Adobo Sauce for dipping. Enjoy pear and celery slaw on the side.