Kung Pao Tempeh
with fried rice
A sweet, savory, and spicy Kung Pao Sauce adds flavor to stir-fried tempeh and a quick fried rice in this weeknight-friendly meal that is packed with color and texture.
Kung Pao Tempeh Strips:
- Tempeh - 16 oz , sliced into thin strips (sub extra-firm tofu)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Kung Pao Sauce (ingredients listed separately) - 1/4 cup
Kung Pao Fried Rice:
- Bell peppers, red - 1 , diced
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, green and white parts separate
- Limes - 1 , wedges
- Peas and carrots, frozen - 1 cup
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cooked rice (leftover from Tuesday) - 1 1/2 cups
- Kung Pao Sauce (ingredients listed separately) - 2 Tbsp
- Peanuts - 1/4 cup
Kung Pao Sauce:
- Ginger, fresh - 1 1/2 tsp , grated
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Water - 3 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes - 1/4 tsp
- Cornstarch - 1 tsp
- Tempeh / Bell peppers / Ginger / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store tempeh and bell peppers in their own containers. Combine ginger and garlic in another container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make Kung Pao Sauce - Combine ginger, garlic, first portion of water, soy sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, and red pepper flakes in a small saucepan over medium heat. Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes to let the flavors come together. Whisk together second portion of water and cornstarch and slowly add it to the sauce while stirring. Cook until sauce thickens, ~ 1 minute more. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green onions / Limes - Prep as directed. Store separately.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Defrost peas and carrots in the microwave.
- Heat a wok or large skillet with oil (portion for tempeh) over medium-high heat. Add tempeh and Kung Pao Sauce (portion for tempeh) to skillet. Saute until tempeh is heated through and Kung Pao Sauce cooks down, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Set tempeh aside and wipe out skillet. Return pan to medium heat and add oil (portion for fried rice). Add white parts of green onions and bell peppers. Saute for 1 minute to get them started cooking.
- Add peas and carrots to wok and saute for 3 minutes more until peppers are tender and any extra moisture has cooked off. Stir in rice and Kung Pao Sauce (portion for rice). Saute until everything is evenly combined and warmed through, ~2 minutes more.
- Remove rice from heat and squeeze half the lime wedges over top. Stir in peanuts and green parts of green onions.
- Serve tempeh over fried rice with remaining lime wedges on the side. Enjoy!