Spinach and Artichoke Grilled Cheese
and green salad with pears
This creamy, vegetable-loaded grilled cheese sandwich is a comfort food classic that always gets great reviews when we feature it in meal plans. It's like having a warm spinach and artichoke dip that you can hold in your hand! This meal was last featured in 2018.
Spinach and Artichoke Grilled Cheese:
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Artichoke hearts, frozen or canned - 8 oz , chopped
- Cheese, provolone - 6 oz , shredded or finely chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Baby spinach - 5 oz
- Mayonnaise - 3 Tbsp
- Bread, sandwich - 8 slices
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
Green Salad with Pears:
- Lettuce, green leaf - 6 oz , chopped (sub any salad greens)
- Pears, any variety - 1 , sliced
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Garlic / Artichoke hearts / Cheese - Prep as directed. Store in separate containers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Pears - Prep as directed.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a non-stick frying pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil, garlic, and artichoke hearts to heated oil. Saute until garlic is fragrant, ~1 minute. Add spinach and a pinch of salt. Saute until spinach is wilted and most of the liquid has cooked off, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer spinach mixture to a mixing bowl and allow to cool slightly. Stir in mayonnaise and cheese. Season with some salt and pepper, if needed.
- Wipe out pan and return it to heat.
- Assemble grilled cheese sandwiches by buttering one side of each piece of bread. Place half the slices of bread buttered-side down in hot pan. Top with spinach-artichoke filling and then add remaining bread, buttered-side up. Cook until bottom of bread is golden brown, ~3 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side until filling is completely melted, ~3 minutes more.
- While sandwiches cook, whisk together mustard, honey, vinegar, and olive oil. Toss with pears and lettuce.
- Slice sandwiches and enjoy with salad on the side.