Spinach and Artichoke Grilled Cheese
and green salad with pears
This creamy, vegetable-loaded grilled cheese sandwich is a comfort food classic that always gets great reviews when we feature it in meal plans. It's like having a warm spinach and artichoke dip that you can hold in your hand! This meal was last featured in 2018.
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Artichoke hearts, frozen or canned - 8 oz, chopped
- Cheese, provolone - 6 oz, shredded or finely chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Baby spinach - 5 oz
- Mayonnaise - 3 Tbsp
- Bread, sandwich - 8 slices
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Lettuce, green leaf - 6 oz, chopped (sub any salad greens)
- Pears, any variety - 1, sliced
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Heat a non-stick frying pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil, garlic, and artichoke hearts to heated oil. Saute until garlic is fragrant, ~1 minute. Add spinach and a pinch of salt. Saute until spinach is wilted and most of the liquid has cooked off, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer spinach mixture to a mixing bowl and allow to cool slightly. Stir in mayonnaise and cheese. Season with some salt and pepper, if needed.
- Wipe out pan and return it to heat.
- Assemble grilled cheese sandwiches by buttering one side of each piece of bread. Place half the slices of bread buttered-side down in hot pan. Top with spinach-artichoke filling and then add remaining bread, buttered-side up. Cook until bottom of bread is golden brown, ~3 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side until filling is completely melted, ~3 minutes more.
- While sandwiches cook, whisk together mustard, honey, vinegar, and olive oil. Toss with pears and lettuce.
- Slice sandwiches and enjoy with salad on the side.
I ended up making the spinach and artichoke part and leaving it in the fridge and making the sandwich each day fresh. It was something different, very tasty, and quick to make. I also made the spinach and artichoke frittata the same week, so a big batch of spinach and artichokes went a long way. Don't forget the garlic!0 Helpful
Easy meal! And I used the leftovers with pita chips as dip0 Helpful
This grilled cheese was incredible!0 Helpful
Wow, tasy!0 Helpful
Super easy, very tasty.0 Helpful
Flavorful and easy. I did make an extra veggie on the side.0 Helpful