with tuna / walnuts / olives / green beans
Nicoise salad is a French favorite, and we love its combination of hearty ingredients and tart vinaigrette. This version that we featured in 2017 uses roasted red bell peppers instead of tomatoes for a seasonal vegetable addition.
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Vinegar, sherry - 1 Tbsp (sub red or white wine vinegar)
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Eggs - 4
- Walnuts - 2 oz, chopped
- Green beans - 1 lb, trimmed and chopped into 1" / 2.5 cm pieces
- Roasted red bell peppers - 5 oz, drained and chopped (from a jar)
- Chives (opt) - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Tuna, canned (5 oz / 142 g) - 2 cans, drained (look for Spanish or Italian varieties packed in olive oil)
- Olives, nicoise - 1/2 cup, drained and rinsed (sub pitted kalamata)
- Oil, olive - 2 tsp
- Salad greens - 8 oz
- Boil eggs - Cover eggs with cold water in a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil and then turn off heat. Put a lid on the pan and let eggs sit in hot water for 11 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Walnuts / Green beans / Roasted red bell peppers - Prep as directed and store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Boil green beans - Bring a large stock pot of salted water to a boil. Add green beans and boil until tender, ~5 minutes (depending on thickness of the beans). Drain and rinse under cool water. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Chop garlic. Whisk garlic with vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, and honey. Add olive oil (portion for the vinaigrette) while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chives (if using) / Tuna / Olives - Prep as directed. (You can leave the olives whole or slice them if you’d prefer.)
- Roll eggs against a hard, flat surface to break up shell. Peel and then slice into quarters.
- Toss green beans with olive oil (the portion for the salad) and chives. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Assemble salads by topping salad greens with tuna, green beans, roasted red bell peppers, olives, eggs, and walnuts. Finish with vinaigrette just before serving. Enjoy!
Delicious! One of my favorite salads.0 Helpful
Made as written but doubled the dressing.0 Helpful
Really delicious and filling. Skipped the walnuts to save on calories.0 Helpful
This is the most delicious salad I’ve ever eaten and I freaking hate salads, will make this one again for sure!!0 Helpful
Awesome salad, though 1 lb new potatoes was way too much for 4 salads. Still some potatoes left over after 6 salads. From previous reviewer, I'd try roasting the potatoes next time--sounds good!0 Helpful