Lentil Nicoise Salad
with potatoes / walnuts / olives / green beans
Nicoise salad is a French favorite, and we love its combination of hearty ingredients and tart vinaigrette. This version that we featured in 2017 uses lentils instead of the traditional tuna for a vegetarian spin, but still has all the same satisfying flavors as the original.
- Garlic - 1 clove , chopped
- Vinegar, sherry - 1 Tbsp (sub red or white wine vinegar)
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
Lentil Nicoise Salad:
- Eggs - 4
- Walnuts - 2 oz , chopped
- Green beans - 8 oz , trimmed and chopped into 1" / 2.5 cm pieces
- Roasted red bell peppers - 5 oz , drained and chopped (from a jar)
- Potatoes, baby or new - 1 lb
- Chives (opt) - 1 Tbsp , chopped
- Olives, nicoise - 1/2 cup , drained and rinsed (sub pitted kalamata)
- Oil, olive - 2 tsp
- Lentils, cooked - 1 1/2 cups (use pre-cooked lentils or if cooking from dried, use half the amount of dried and prepare according to package directions)
- Salad greens - 8 oz
- Boil eggs - Cover eggs with cold water in a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil and then turn off heat. Put a lid on the pan and let eggs sit in hot water for 11 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Walnuts / Green beans / Roasted red bell peppers - Prep as directed and store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Boil potatoes and green beans - Bring a large stock pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and reduce heat to a low simmer. Simmer, covered, until potatoes are nearly tender, about 15 minutes (this will vary depending on the size of potatoes, but they should be fairly easy to pierce with a fork before adding green beans). Add green beans to the pot and continue to boil until both the potatoes and beans are very tender, about 5 minutes more. Drain and rinse under cool water. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Chop garlic. Whisk garlic with vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, and honey. Add olive oil (portion for the vinaigrette) while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chives (if using) / Olives - Prep as directed. (You can leave the olives whole or slice them if you’d prefer.)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Roll eggs against a hard, flat surface to break up shell. Peel and then slice into quarters.
- Quarter potatoes. Toss potatoes and green beans with olive oil (the portion for the salad) and chives. Season with some salt and pepper.
- If you’d like the lentils warm in the salad, heat them briefly in the microwave.
- Assemble salads by topping salad greens with potatoes and green beans, lentils, roasted red bell peppers, olives, eggs, and walnuts. Finish with vinaigrette just before serving. Enjoy!