Italian Pasta with Roasted Chickpeas and Zucchini
with olive tapenade
- Olives, mixed and pitted green and kalamata - 3/4 cup (ideally from the olive bar)
- Roasted red bell peppers - 4 oz, drained and chopped (from a jar)
- Garlic - 2 cloves
- Capers - 1 tsp, drained and rinsed
- Celery seed (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/4 tsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 tsp
- Pasta, ditalini - 8 oz (sub orzo or any small pasta shape)
- Zucchini - 1 1/2 lbs, cubed
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1 1/2 cups, halved
- Thyme, fresh - 2 sprigs, leaves torn
- Lemon zest - 1 tsp
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Make tapenade - (Skip if tapenade was made ahead for Tuesday.) Combine olives, roasted bell peppers, garlic, capers, celery seed, dried oregano, and vinegar in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until everything is chopped but some pea-sized pieces still remain. (If you don’t have a food processor, you can chop everything very finely by hand or use an immersion blender or standing blender, which will produce a more smooth tapenade.) Taste and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cook pasta - (Skip if made ahead for Monday. If prepping right before cooking, get the oven heating / vegetables roasting while pasta water is coming to a boil.) Cook pasta according to package directions. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Zucchini - Cube zucchini. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tomatoes - Halve tomatoes. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Thyme sprigs / Lemon zest - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C degrees.
- Spray a sheet pan with nonstick cooking spray or rub it with some oil.
- Toss zucchini and tomatoes with oil, thyme leaves, lemon zest, and some salt and pepper. Spread it out on the sheet pan.
- Transfer to the oven and roast vegetables, stirring halfway through cooking, until vegetables are tender, 20 to 22 minutes.
- In the last few minutes of cooking, scatter beans over top of the vegetables so they get lightly roasted.
- If pasta was made ahead, reheat in the microwave. If it seems sticky, stir in some cooking oil as it heats.
- Toss pasta with zucchini, tomatoes, beans, and tapenade. Season with some salt and pepper, if needed. Enjoy!
This was such a good meal!!0 Helpful
We loved this meal! I love the ease of sheet pan meals and my kids love any roasted chicken/veggie combo. The tapenade made it extra yummy!0 Helpful
Easy and super tasty! I spritzed some juice over everything before serving which added some extra pop.0 Helpful
Agree quick and easy, don’t normally like the tapenade ingredients but it was all delicious.0 Helpful
I liked this one. It wasn't amazing, but it was warm and filling and easy to make.0 Helpful
Used asparagus instead of zucchini and added lots of Parmesan cheese. Decent and satisfying, for some reason didn’t love it though. I’m not sure why!0 Helpful