Italian Sausage Stew
with mushrooms / zucchini
Italian Sausage Stew:
- Onions, medium - 1 , chopped
- Carrots - 1/2 lb , chopped
- Celery - 2 ribs , chopped
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz , quartered
- Zucchini - 12 oz , chopped
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Italian sausage, uncooked - 8 oz
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Tomatoes, crushed (15 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Stock, any type - 3 cups
- Thyme, fresh - 2 sprigs
- Baby spinach - 4 oz
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Hot sauce of choice (opt) - 1 tsp
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add first part of oil and then mushrooms. Saute mushrooms until golden brown and tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Set mushrooms aside and return pan to heat.
- Add second part of oil and then onions, carrots, and celery to heated oil. Saute until onions soften, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add sausage and stir to combine. Saute until sausage begins to break down and brown in spots, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in zucchini, Italian seasoning, and salt and cook until fragrant, ~1 minute more.
- Pour tomatoes, stock, thyme sprigs, and reserved mushrooms over sausage and vegetables. Bring to a simmer. Simmer until zucchini is tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in spinach, lemon juice, and hot sauce (if using). Taste and season with some salt and pepper.
- Remove and discard thyme sprigs.
- Divide soup between bowls and enjoy!