Cumin Lamb Lettuce Cups
with Szechuan green beans
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Bell peppers, green - 1, diced
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Ground lamb - 1 lb
- Cumin - 1 Tbsp + 1/2 tsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - 1 tsp (like chili-garlic sauce)
- Lettuce, bibb, iceberg, or romaine - 12 leaves
- Pine nuts - 1 oz
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Green beans - 1 lb, trimmed
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Mirin (opt) - 1 tsp
- Red pepper flakes - 1/2 tsp (sub any hot sauce)
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Onions / Bell peppers / Garlic (for lettuce cups and green beans) / Green beans - Prep as directed. Combine onions and bell peppers. Store garlic and green beans in their own containers. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Marinate lamb - Mix ground lamb with garlic (just the lettuce cup portion), first part of cumin, soy sauce (portion for lettuce cups), and hot sauce (if using). Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Make Szechuan sauce - Mix together garlic (portion for green beans), soy sauce (portion for green beans), mirin, and red pepper flakes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Lettuce - Peel off leaves for lettuce cups (3 / serving). (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat for green beans. Add oil (portion for green beans) and then green beans to heated oil. Saute for 10 to 12 minutes, until browned and blistered. Finish with Szechuan sauce and remove from heat. Season to taste with more salt and / or hot sauce.
- While green beans cook, heat a skillet or saute pan over medium heat for lamb. Add pine nuts and toast until golden for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Return pan to medium-high heat and add oil (portion for lettuce cups) and then onions and bell peppers to heated oil with a sprinkle of salt. Saute for ~4 minutes, until aromatics are tender.
- Next add ground lamb and brown for 5 to 7 minutes, breaking up with a wooden spoon. Remove from heat and toss with second part of cumin. Season to taste with more salt as needed.
- Divide lamb into lettuce cups and garnish with pine nuts. Enjoy with green beans on the side.
We served this on farro rather than in lettuce wraps. Really good flavor combination!0 Helpful
We spiced the meat up a bit more as we like a lot of spice. It was a bit messy to eat but so good! I'm not a big fan of green beans but they were delicious and I'll be making this one again.0 Helpful
Used rice or veggie wraps instead of lettuce....turned out great!0 Helpful
Used beef and 1/2 amount of cumin. Used chili garlic sauce and marinated beef 1 day. Everyone liked and beans were a big hit too.0 Helpful
Everything about this meal was excellent.0 Helpful
Huge hit in my household! One of the first meals that everyone (including picky children) loved!0 Helpful