Kale and Farro Salad
with roasted carrots / avocados / goat cheese / sliced almonds
With farro made ahead earlier in the week, this hearty and flavorful entree salad comes together fast.
Smarts: Don't hesitate to use another roasted vegetable if you have something you'd rather use in place of the carrots.
- Kale, any type - 8 leaves, leaves chopped, stems discarded
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Avocados - 1, cubed
- Almonds, sliced - 1/4 cup
- Goat cheese - 5 oz, crumbled
- Carrots - 1 1/2 lbs, sliced
- Sage - 4 leaves, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Farro, uncooked - 1 cup
- Cook farro - (Skip if farro was made ahead for Tuesday.) Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Give it a generous sprinkle of salt and add farro. If you bought semi-pearled or husked farro, it should take about 25 minutes to cook until al dente, tender but not soggy. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Kale / Carrots - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Note: The thinner you slice the carrots, the faster they will cook.) (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together vinegar (portion for vinaigrette), mustard, and honey. Add olive oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Massage kale - Dress kale with about half of the vinaigrette and use your hands to rub or “massage” the dressing into the greens. It’s fine to skip this step, but it will help to tenderize the tough kale leaves.
- Sage / Avocados - Prep as directed.
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C.
- Toss carrots with sage, cooking oil, vinegar (portion for carrots), and some salt and pepper. Spread out on a sheet pan.
- Roast carrots, shaking the pan halfway through cooking, until very tender, 20 to 25 minutes (depending on size).
- When carrots are finished roasting, transfer kale to a large mixing bowl. Add farro, almonds, and avocados. Top with carrots and toss everything together. Add remaining half of vinaigrette until dressed to your liking.
- Divide salad between serving bowls. Crumble goat cheese over each portion. Enjoy!
We loved the chicken, and we aren't crazy about lots of bacon flavor! The bacon gives it great flavor and keeps it moist. Didn't love the carrots. Would probably make maple carrots next time or do a salad.0 Helpful
Ended up having to make a number of substitutions on this recipe as I couldn't get ahold of bacon or farro. Ended up serving chicken over pasta with the wine sauce. I added about a tablespoon of butter to the sauce, and it was absolutely incredible. Would definitely make again.0 Helpful
Very delicious meal! Pan sauce was simple but added so much. Makes for a beautiful plate, good presentation after cooking. Definitely will make again.0 Helpful
We loved this one! The balsamic carrots were so good. This is going in our favorites collection for sure.0 Helpful
One of our favorite Cooksmarts meals! I make the chicken in the air fryer and it turns out great!0 Helpful
I made the mistake of trying to bake the tenders, thinking it’d be easier than babysitting them on the pan - turns out the bacon doesn’t crisp in the oven as the chicken juices just kind of boil it. Had to take them out afterwards and recook them on the pan to attempt to make the pan sauce...and it only turned out so-so.0 Helpful