Balsamic Brown Rice Saute with Sweet Potatoes
and mushrooms / fried egg
- Shallots - 2 cloves, diced
- Sweet potatoes - 1 lb, cubed
- Tamari - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Mushrooms, any type - 8 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Sage - 4 leaves, diced
- Lemons - 1, wedges
- Beans, kidney (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Pancetta - 5 oz, diced (look for pre-diced)
- Baby spinach - 4 oz
- Eggs - 4
- Brown rice, uncooked - 1 cup
- Brown rice - (Double if making Wednesday’s meal.) Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Shallots / Sweet Potatoes - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make balsamic sauce - Combine Tamari, vinegar, and mustard. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pre-cook sweet potatoes - Place sweet potatoes in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave on high until sweet potatoes are tender, 4 to 7 minutes (depending on the size of the cubes). (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Mushrooms (if not pre-sliced) - Slice mushrooms. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Sage / Lemons - Prep as directed.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Place a large saute pan or wok with first part of oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms and pancetta. Saute until mushrooms are nearly tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add shallots, sage, and some salt and saute for 1 minute.
- Stir in brown rice (reserve half if doubled), spinach, and balsamic sauce until everything is combined. Continue cooking until spinach is completely wilted, 4 to 5 minutes.
- While spinach is cooking, place a large nonstick pan (for eggs) over low-medium heat.
- Return to rice and stir in beans and sweet potatoes until everything is combined. Taste and season with some salt and pepper. Set aside, covered to keep warm.
- To the heated nonstick pan, add second part of oil. Crack eggs into heated oil and cook to your liking - on one side for sunny-side up or flip them for over-easy.
- Divide rice between serving plates. Top each portion with an egg and serve with lemon slices on the side. Enjoy!
Yummy, could make a good breakfast. Simple to make.0 Helpful
I was surprised to love this - it came together even better as leftovers. Will make again!0 Helpful
We loved this! I did crumbled sausage instead of precooked. I cubed the sweet potatoes very tiny and it came together very fast!0 Helpful
Love this - doubled the sauce as many suggested. We also added soyrizo to my fiance's since he can't do egg.0 Helpful
Bleh, I don’t know how so many people like this. Flavors are lacking and the little flavor that is there isn’t great.0 Helpful
This was so good. It had a great comfort food quality. Will definitely make again.0 Helpful