Sun-Dried Tomato and Artichoke Carbonara
Spaghetti carbonara is a unique pasta dish in which hot pasta is tossed with raw eggs. The heat from the pasta cooks the eggs just enough to form a silky, smooth sauce. We can't leave well enough alone, so we're always playing with the flavors of this iconic recipe. This twist features artichokes, broccoli, and sun-dried tomatoes.
Sun-Dried Tomato and Artichoke Carbonara:
- Broccoli - 10 oz , chopped
- Artichoke hearts (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained, rinsed, and chopped
- Sun-dried tomatoes - 1/3 cup , drained, rinsed, and chopped (from a jar of sun-dried tomatoes in oil)
- Eggs - 1
- Egg yolks - 1
- Lemon zest - 1 tsp
- Cheese, parmesan - 1 oz , grated
- Pasta, spaghetti or linguini - 8 oz
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Oil - 1 Tbsp (from a jar of sun-dried tomatoes in oil)
- Black pepper - for serving
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - for serving
- Broccoli / Artichoke hearts / Sun-dried tomatoes - (If prepping right before cooking, get water for pasta boiling before continuing with prep.) Prep as directed. Store broccoli in one container. Combine artichoke hearts and sun-dried tomatoes. (Note: See ingredients list and be sure to reserve some oil from the jar of sun-dried tomatoes.) (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pre-cook broccoli - Place broccoli in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with a damp paper towel and microwave on high until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Whisk together eggs, egg yolks, lemon zest, and cheese in a bowl large enough to hold all of the pasta.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Place a large stockpot of water (for pasta) over heat and bring to a boil. Salt the water well.
- When water is boiling, add pasta and cook according to package directions.
- While pasta is boiling, heat a large saute pan or wok over medium heat. Add cooking oil and then broccoli, artichoke hearts, and tomatoes with some salt. Saute until everything is heated through and starting to brown in spots, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in reserved oil.
- When pasta is done, drain.
- Working quickly, add hot pasta to egg sauce and toss it vigorously with tongs to combine. (The hot pasta should gently cook the eggs, creating a creamy sauce.)
- Add broccoli, artichoke hearts, and tomatoes to pasta and continue tossing everything until evenly combined. Taste and season with some salt if needed.
- Divide pasta between serving bowls. Top with black pepper, some red pepper flakes, and some more cheese if you’d like. Enjoy!