Shrimp and Sun-Dried Tomato Carbonara
Spaghetti carbonara is a unique pasta dish in which hot pasta is tossed with raw eggs. The heat from the pasta cooks the eggs just enough to form a silky, smooth sauce. We can't leave well enough alone, so we're always playing with the flavors of this iconic recipe. This twist features shrimp, broccoli, and sun-dried tomatoes.
Shrimp and Sun-Dried Tomato Carbonara:
- Shrimp, peeled and deveined - 1 lb
- Broccoli - 10 oz , chopped
- Sun-dried tomatoes - 1/3 cup , drained, rinsed, and chopped (from a jar of sun-dried tomatoes in oil)
- Bacon - 4 strips , chopped
- Eggs - 1
- Egg yolks - 1
- Lemon zest - 1 tsp
- Cheese, parmesan - 1 oz , grated
- Pasta, gluten-free spaghetti or linguini - 8 oz
- Oil - 1 Tbsp (from a jar of sun-dried tomatoes in oil)
- Black pepper - for serving
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - for serving
- Shrimp - Defrost shrimp.
- Broccoli / Sun-dried tomatoes / Bacon - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Note: See ingredients list and be sure to reserve some oil from the jar of sun-dried tomatoes.) (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pre-cook broccoli - Place broccoli in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with a damp paper towel and microwave on high until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Whisk together eggs, egg yolks, lemon zest, and cheese in a bowl large enough to hold all of the pasta.
- Place a large stockpot of water (for pasta) over heat and bring to a boil. Salt the water well.
- While water is coming to a boil, heat a large saute pan or skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until bacon is dark brown and crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Drain off all but 1 Tbsp / 15 mL of bacon grease (for 4 servings; adjust if customizing). Return pan to heat.
- At this point the stockpot of water should be boiling. Add pasta and cook according to package directions.
- Return to heated pan and add shrimp. Saute until shrimp is nearly cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Season shrimp with some salt and pepper as it cooks.
- Stir in broccoli, tomatoes, and reserved oil.
- When pasta is done, drain.
- Working quickly, add hot pasta to egg sauce and toss it vigorously with tongs to combine. (The hot pasta should gently cook the eggs, creating a creamy sauce.)
- Add shrimp and broccoli to pasta and continue tossing everything until evenly combined. Taste and season with some salt if needed.
- Divide pasta between serving bowls. Top with bacon, black pepper, and some red pepper flakes if you’d like. Enjoy!