Shrimp and Sun-Dried Tomato Carbonarawith broccoli
Spaghetti carbonara is a unique pasta dish in which hot pasta is tossed with raw eggs. The heat from the pasta cooks the eggs just enough to form a silky, smooth sauce. We can't leave well enough alone, so we're always playing with the flavors of this iconic recipe. This twist features shrimp, broccoli, and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Shrimp, peeled and deveined - 1 lb
- Broccoli - 10 oz, chopped
- Sun-dried tomatoes - 1/3 cup, drained, rinsed, and chopped (from a jar of sun-dried tomatoes in oil)
- Bacon - 4 strips, chopped
- Eggs - 1
- Egg yolks - 1
- Lemon zest - 1 tsp
- Cheese, parmesan - 1 oz, grated
- Pasta, spaghetti or linguini - 8 oz
- Oil - 1 Tbsp (from a jar of sun-dried tomatoes in oil)
- Black pepper - for serving
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - for serving
- Shrimp - Defrost shrimp.
- Broccoli / Sun-dried tomatoes / Bacon - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Note: See ingredients list and be sure to reserve some oil from the jar of sun-dried tomatoes.) (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pre-cook broccoli - Place broccoli in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with a damp paper towel and microwave on high until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Whisk together eggs, egg yolks, lemon zest, and cheese in a bowl large enough to hold all of the pasta.
- Place a large stockpot of water (for pasta) over heat and bring to a boil. Salt the water well.
- While water is coming to a boil, heat a large saute pan or skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until bacon is dark brown and crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Drain off all but 1 Tbsp / 15 mL of bacon grease (for 4 servings; adjust if customizing). Return pan to heat.
- At this point the stockpot of water should be boiling. Add pasta and cook according to package directions.
- Return to heated pan and add shrimp. Saute until shrimp is nearly cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Season shrimp with some salt and pepper as it cooks.
- Stir in broccoli, tomatoes, and reserved oil.
- When pasta is done, drain.
- Working quickly, add hot pasta to egg sauce and toss it vigorously with tongs to combine. (The hot pasta should gently cook the eggs, creating a creamy sauce.)
- Add shrimp and broccoli to pasta and continue tossing everything until evenly combined. Taste and season with some salt if needed.
- Divide pasta between serving bowls. Top with bacon, black pepper, and some red pepper flakes if you’d like. Enjoy!
We loved this. It did require a lot of dishes, but it was worth it. My husband even said it was "restaurant quality!" I followed the recipe except I didn't have broccoli, so I used zucchini to make sure we still got some veggies. So yummy!0 Helpful
Really delicious and filling pasta dish. Easy to customize the base pasta by adding different veggies and avoiding bacon, but I love the original!0 Helpful
Made a mess in the kitchen (lots of moving parts) but wow this was tasty.0 Helpful
Made with bacon & crumbled the bacon on top after, didn’t like it like that made shrimp crunchy. sun dried tomatoes overpowered this one this time.0 Helpful
Easy and flavorful added some snap peas to increase the vegies. Liked that still lots of flavors even when low in calories.0 Helpful