Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Herb-Garlic Lentils
and roasted broccoli
Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Lentils:
- Sweet potatoes, medium - 4 , halved
- Onions, medium - 1/2 , diced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Italian seasoning - 1 1/2 tsp
- Lentils, cooked - 2 cups (use pre-cooked lentils or if cooking from dried, use half the amount of dried and prepare according to package directions)
- Broccoli - 1 lb , chopped
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Garlic - 3 cloves , chopped
- Butter - 4 Tbsp
- Miso paste (opt) - 2 tsp
- Parsley, dried - 1/2 tsp (sub fresh parsley or Italian seasoning)
- Sweet potatoes / Onions / Broccoli / Garlic - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating first.) Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make herb-garlic butter - Defrost butter in the microwave just until soft. Stir in garlic, miso paste, and dried parsley. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C. Set out two sheet pans.
- Take herb-garlic butter out of the fridge and put it near the warm oven so it softens to room temperature.
- Rub halved sweet potatoes on all sides with some cooking oil. Place potatoes cut-side down on the first sheet pan. Transfer to oven.
- On the second sheet pan, toss broccoli with olive oil, red pepper flakes, and some salt and pepper. Transfer to the oven.
- Cook vegetables until tender, ~20 minutes for broccoli and 25 to 30 minutes for sweet potatoes.
- When vegetables are nearly finished, heat a skillet with cooking oil over medium heat. Add onions and saute until very soft, 4 to 5 minutes. Add Italian seasoning and some salt. Saute for 1 minute.
- Stir in lentils until heated through.
- When vegetables are done cooking, squeeze lemon juice over broccoli.
- Place sweet potatoes, cut-side up, on serving plates. Gently mash them with a fork. Spoon lentils over sweet potatoes and top each one with herb garlic butter. Enjoy with broccoli on the side.