Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Herb-Garlic Lentils
and roasted broccoli
These rustic, hearty sweet potatoes are filled with a flavorful mixture of lentils and then made extra special with a topping of savory herb-garlic butter. It's worthy of a special meal but simple enough to make on a weeknight.
- Sweet potatoes, medium - 4, halved
- Onions, medium - 1/2, diced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Italian seasoning - 1 1/2 tsp
- Lentils, cooked - 2 cups (use pre-cooked lentils or if cooking from dried, use half the amount of dried and prepare according to package directions)
- Broccoli - 1 lb, chopped
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Butter - 4 Tbsp
- Miso paste (opt) - 2 tsp
- Parsley, dried - 1/2 tsp (sub fresh parsley or Italian seasoning)
- Sweet potatoes / Onions / Broccoli / Garlic - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating first.) Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make herb-garlic butter - Defrost butter in the microwave just until soft. Stir in garlic, miso paste, and dried parsley. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C. Set out two sheet pans.
- Take herb-garlic butter out of the fridge and put it near the warm oven so it softens to room temperature.
- Rub halved sweet potatoes on all sides with some cooking oil. Place potatoes cut-side down on the first sheet pan. Transfer to oven.
- On the second sheet pan, toss broccoli with olive oil, red pepper flakes, and some salt and pepper. Transfer to the oven.
- Cook vegetables until tender, ~20 minutes for broccoli and 25 to 30 minutes for sweet potatoes.
- When vegetables are nearly finished, heat a skillet with cooking oil over medium heat. Add onions and saute until very soft, 4 to 5 minutes. Add Italian seasoning and some salt. Saute for 1 minute.
- Stir in lentils until heated through.
- When vegetables are done cooking, squeeze lemon juice over broccoli.
- Place sweet potatoes, cut-side up, on serving plates. Gently mash them with a fork. Spoon lentils over sweet potatoes and top each one with herb garlic butter. Enjoy with broccoli on the side.
Delicious and quick to put together. If you don't feel like having fries, double up on the broccoli.0 Helpful
This was so delicious. I didn't use the miso paste and forgot the lemon at the end. I also used sweet potato since it's what I had on hand so left off the red paper flakes.0 Helpful
Delicious and healthy! Unfortunately, I couldn't find miso paste at my nearby grocery store, but the butter was still really tasty.0 Helpful
Delicious! Roasted some kale instead of broccoli and it was soo good0 Helpful
So good! I always know the butter will be delicious. This was surprisingly easy and absolutely amazing0 Helpful
Wow knew this would be so good! Miso butter!!!0 Helpful