Steak Fritesand broccoli / herb-garlic butter
Steak Frites ("steak and fries") is a French bistro meal that feels both special and a little bit fun. It's worthy of a special meal but simple enough to make on a weeknight. Grab your favorite dipping sauces for those fries if you'd like!
- Steak, NY Strip - 1 lb
- Potatoes, Russet - 20 oz, sliced into wedges
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Italian seasoning - 1 1/2 tsp
- Broccoli - 1 lb, chopped
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Butter - 4 Tbsp
- Miso paste (opt) - 2 tsp
- Parsley, dried - 1/2 tsp (sub fresh parsley or Italian seasoning)
- Broccoli / Garlic - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating first.) Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make herb-garlic butter - Defrost butter in the microwave just until soft. Stir in garlic, miso paste, and dried parsley. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Prep steak - Tenderize steak with a fork and season generously with some salt and black pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Potatoes - Slice potatoes into wedges. (Try to make them a similar shape and size so they will cook evenly).
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C. Set out two sheet pans.
- Take herb-garlic butter out of the fridge and put it near the warm oven so it softens to room temperature.
- On the first sheet pan, toss broccoli with olive oil, red pepper flakes, and some salt and pepper. Transfer to the oven.
- If you have an oven-safe cooling rack, place it on top of the second sheet pan. (This will allow air to circulate under the potatoes, making them crispier). Toss potatoes with first portion of cooking oil, Italian seasoning, and some salt and pepper. Spread potatoes out on the sheet pan. Transfer to the oven.
- Cook vegetables until golden brown and tender, ~20 minutes for broccoli and 25 to 30 minutes for potatoes (depending on thickness of potato wedges).
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet with second part of cooking oil over medium heat. Sear steak on both sides until it reaches your desired level of doneness - Medium-rare: 130F / 54C degrees (~3 minutes per side); Medium: 140F / 60C degrees (~4 minutes per side); Well-done: 160F / 71C degrees (~6 minutes per side).
- Remove steak from heat and transfer to a cutting board. Cover steak and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- When vegetables are done cooking, squeeze lemon juice over broccoli.
- Slice steak and serve with vegetables. Spoon herb-garlic butter over steak (and over vegetables if you’d like). Enjoy!
This meal has 30 reviews
It’s like a steakhouse, but it’s my kitchen! I used sirloin because it was cheaper.
Not the most delicious thing ever but a meal I feel good feeding my family. (Vegetarian version)
This was tasty, might make it again.
So tasty and super easy to make!! I used toasted sesame oil for the broccoli. Definitely saving this one!
We often make extra of our recipes to have for lunches. This was such a heavy lunch. But tasty when all put together with the miso butter and broccoli.
Yum. The miso butter ramped up the flavor in this recipe.