Pizza Bianca with Sausage and Broccoli Rabe
and pear and butter lettuce salad
Get your greens right on top of your pizza with this savory version that skips the red sauce and tops the pizza dough with herby garlic oil instead.
Smarts #1: When chopping the broccoli rabe, be sure you get bite-sized pieces that you’d like to have on your pizza slices.
Smarts #2: Have you ever had pizza with “hot” honey? If you like things that have a spicy / sweet combo, use spicy sausage for this pizza and try a slice with a drizzle of honey over top. It sounds weird, but something about it just works!
- Pizza dough - 1 lb
- Flour, all-purpose - 2 Tbsp
- Cheese, fresh mozzarella - 8 oz, thinly sliced
- Broccoli rabe - 12 oz, chopped (also called rapini; sub kale)
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp + 2 Tbsp
- Italian sausage, loose and raw - 8 oz (choose mild or hot)
- Italian seasoning - 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Vinegar, white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Pears - 1, chopped
- Butter lettuce - 8 oz, leaves torn (sub any salad greens)
- Pizza dough - Cover in flour and let rest for at least 30 minutes outside of fridge before rolling out. (Resting dough gives gluten time to chill out, which makes the dough much more pliable.)
- Cheese / Broccoli rabe / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Saute sausage and broccoli rabe - Heat a skillet with first part of oil (portion for pizza) over medium heat. Add sausage and saute, breaking it apart, until cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. To heated skillet, add broccoli rabe and saute until broccoli rabe is wilted and tender, 4 to 5 minutes more. Add to plate with cooked sausage. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together mustard, honey, and vinegar. Add oil (portion for salad) while whisking. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make garlic oil - Combine second part of oil (portion for pizza) with garlic and Italian seasoning. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pears / Lettuce - Prep as directed and combine.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C degrees.
- Brush a sheet pan with some oil.
- Using hands, stretch out pizza dough to cover sheet pan.
- Bake dough for 3 minutes without toppings. (This solo time in the oven gives the dough time to crisp up; if you put toppings on now, your crust may get soggy.)
- Remove pizza from oven. Brush the surface of the dough with garlic oil.
- Spread sausage and broccoli rabe over top of pizza. Top with cheese.
- Bake pizza until crust is golden brown and cheese is melted and bubbly, 8 to 12 minutes.
- Toss pears and lettuce in vinaigrette until dressed to your liking.
- When pizza is finished, squeeze lemon juice over top. Add red pepper flakes if you’d like.
- Slice pizza and serve with salad on the side. Enjoy!
Subbed broccolini (recommend chopping before adding to pizza) and used a store-bought crust to save time. Pizza is delicious with a drizzle of honey!0 Helpful
Delicious! Life hack: if you have a local pizza place, ask them if you can buy some of their pizza dough. Most shops will oblige.0 Helpful
Good, but husband thinks it needs a chili oil instead or in addition to the garlic oil.0 Helpful
This was really excellent. My kids especially loved it. Going in our family favorites!0 Helpful
Loved this pizza. Added mushrooms and sliced tomatoes. Also used kale and bacon. So changed most of the ingredients I guess but the basic flavor profile is the same and we all loved it.0 Helpful
My body literally rejected this meal.0 Helpful