Skillet Denver Tots with Poached Egg and ham / bell peppers / cheddar
This meal has everything you’d find on a plate at a diner if ordering a Denver omelet but presented as a skillet / casserole-style meal. The tots, vegetables, and diced ham cook together in the oven and are topped with a poached egg. Keep the yolk slightly runny for a creamy “sauce” to go over everything.
Smarts: If you prefer to just make a Denver omelet and serve the tots on the side, go for it! You’ve already got all the ingredients you need.
- Bell peppers, any color - 2, chopped
- Onions, medium - 1/2, chopped
- Ham, deli-sliced - 8 oz, chopped
- Cheese, cheddar - 3 oz, grated (can use pre-grated cheese)
- Green onions - 3 stalks, chopped, white and green parts separate
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Tater tots, frozen - 1 lb
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 2 tsp
- Eggs - 4
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Blueberries, frozen - 12 oz
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1 1/3 cup
- Milk, any type - 1/4 cup (sub water)
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Bell peppers / Onions / Ham / Cheese - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep.) Prep as directed. Combine peppers and onions in one container. Store ham and cheese in their own containers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green onions - Chop green onions, keeping white and green parts separate.
- Make smoothie - (If prepping right before cooking, get tots baking and water boiling for eggs. Then come back to make the smoothie.) Combine blueberries, yogurt, milk, and lemon juice in a blender. Blend until smooth, adding more milk if needed to reach a smooth consistency.
- Heat oven to the temperature required for the tater tots (check the package).
- Heat a large oven-safe skillet or saute pan with oil over medium heat. Add peppers, onions, and white parts of green onions and saute for 2 to 3 minutes to get them started cooking. Season with a pinch of salt.
- Remove skillet from heat (if you don’t have an oven-safe skillet you can transfer everything to a sheet pan). Stir ham into peppers and onions. Spread frozen tater tots on top in a single layer.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake according to package directions on the tater tots. (Note: It may take a few extra minutes for the tater tots to cook through and brown on the top since they won’t have as much space as they would if baked on a sheet pan on their own.)
- While tots are baking, fill a large saute pan with water. Add vinegar and some salt. Bring water to a boil.
- While water is coming to a boil, crack each egg into a small ramekin or teacup. (Don’t skip this step as it will help you to transfer the eggs to hot water quickly so that they cook evenly.)
- Line a plate with paper towels and set it near the stovetop.
- When the tater tots have about 5 minutes left to cook, scatter cheese over top of the tater tots and let them finish in the oven.
- Meanwhile, return to the boiling water (for the eggs). Reduce heat for the eggs to a low simmer. Gently tip each egg into the simmering water so that none are touching. Simmer eggs to your desired degree of doneness (for cooked whites and soft yolks, this should take 4 to 5 minutes; remove one of the eggs and test it if needed). Use a slotted spoon to move cooked eggs to paper towel-lined plate.
- Divide tots between serving plates and top each serving with an egg. Season with some salt and pepper and top with green parts of green onions. Serve with some hot sauce if you’d like. Enjoy with smoothie on the side.
This was so family friendly and delicious! I love how quick it was to make and still included veggies and protein. Not only great for dinner but will make again for a big breakfast or brunch!0 Helpful
This is so good. I have made it at least 4 times since I signed up for CookSmarts 3 months ago. My husband loves it! It's delicious, super easy, and very quick to make. So far we've had it for dinner every time but I can't wait to invite friends over for brunch real soon. We'll probably sub mimosas in for the smoothie though, to be honest! ;)0 Helpful
This was delicious! We I didn't have enough tater tots so I used some tots and some French fries. Both of these were the sweet potato version. I also made my own hot sauce...I mixed a teaspoon of butter, 1 tablespoon of fig jam and 2 tbl of sweet chili sauce. Mixed that (heated to melt the butter). Yummy! This was a definite favorite of my family! We also did not make the smoothie.0 Helpful
So good! We didn't make the smoothie... we ended up doing this for brunch and LOVED it. We added soyrizo to my fiance's since he can't do egg. It was perfect.0 Helpful
Fast, tasty. Did not make smoothie..0 Helpful
This recipe is now saved to our favorites. My husband couldn't say enough good things about this meal.0 Helpful