Mexican Fried Rice
with broccoli, beans, and corn
I'm taking fried rice across the border. It was fun switching up the flavors and the finished product is a colorful treat. Plus, since you already have rice made, this dinner comes together quickly.
- Garlic - 4 cloves, minced
- Broccoli - 1 head, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- Black beans (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can, rinsed and drained
- Corn - 1 cup
- Leftover mexican rice - 2 to 3 cups
- Cooking oil - 2 Tbsp + 2 Tbsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Lime - 1/2, juice of
- Sour cream - for serving on rice
- Garlic / Broccoli - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Beans - Rinse and drain.
- Corn - Warm up in microwave.
- Leftover rice - Mix with first part of cooking oil.
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add in second part of oil and then garlic to heated oil. Once you can smell the garlic, add in broccoli. Toss in wok for ~2 minutes and then add in 1/3 cup (78 ml) of water with a dash of salt. Cook until broccoli is mostly cooked through, ~4 to 6 minutes.
- Add in leftover rice, beans, and corn with cumin, coriander, and salt. Toss until everything is warmed through. Finish with lime juice and season to taste with more spices. Enjoy with sour cream!
I wasn’t sure about this one with the broccoli, but I REALLY liked it!0 Helpful
Didn't add oil to rice. Really good. Had chicken on the side for those who wanted to add it.0 Helpful
Added leftover shrimp and chicken.0 Helpful
Sooo ridiculously good. I put cheddar cheese, rather than sour cream, on top, as well as cilantro. I also did not coat the rice with oil.0 Helpful
Used baby sweet broccoli instead of regular for a more tender, sweeter flavor. Added shrimp. It's not the best fried rice I've had on Cook Smarts, but I really did enjoy the Mexican twist. Had extra tortillas from yesterday so made burritos with the leftover shrimp & fried rice.0 Helpful
I used brown rice instead and it was deilisious. Even had leftovers for lunch the next day and I added a boiled egg, tuna and a little mayonaise. Yum!0 Helpful