Tempeh and Vegetable Stir-Fry
with Hoisin stir-fry sauce
White or Brown Rice:
- Rice, uncooked white or brown - 1 cup
Tempeh and Vegetable Hoisin Stir-Fry:
- Tempeh - 16 oz , cubed (sub extra-firm tofu)
- Carrots - 1 lb , sliced at a bias
- Broccoli - 1 lb , chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cashews - 1/3 cup
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
Hoisin Stir-Fry Sauce:
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Hoisin sauce - 3 Tbsp
- Ketchup - 2 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Chili garlic sauce - 1 tsp
- Rice - (Skip if made ahead for Tuesday.) For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tempeh / Carrots / Broccoli / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make stir-fry sauce - Whisk together hoisin sauce, ketchup, soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, chili garlic sauce, and garlic. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Heat a wok with cooking oil over medium heat. Add carrots and saute until carrots are starting to turn golden brown in spots.
- Add broccoli to the pan and saute vegetables together until tender, 3 to 6 minutes. (If they are taking a long time to cook, add 1 Tbsp / 15 ml water and cover with a lid. Let the vegetables steam, covered, until tender.)
- Add tempeh and stir-fry sauce to the pan and saute everything together until the tempeh is warmed through and the sauce coats everything.
- Remove stir-fry from heat and stir in cashews and lime juice.
- If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Serve stir-fry over rice. Enjoy!