Italian Sausage and Chard Frittata
with green salad
This rustic, Italian-inspired frittata is packed with greens and flavorful Italian sausage. Serve it with a balsamic vinaigrette salad filled with crunchy nuts and tangy olives.
Italian Sausage and Chard Frittata:
- Chard, any type - 6 leaves , chopped, leaves and stems separate
- Eggs - 6
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Sausage, Italian and raw - 8 oz (use mild or spicy)
Green Salad with Olives and Pecans:
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Pecans, halves or pieces - 1/2 cup
- Salad greens - 8 oz
- Green olives, pitted - 1 cup (sub any type of olives)
- Chard - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep.) Chop chard stems and leaves, keeping them separate. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together mustard and vinegar. Add olive oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead of time.)
- Eggs - Whisk eggs with salt and pepper.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Heat a 10.5” to 12” (26 cm to 30 cm) oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Add pecans and toast, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes. Set aside. Return pan to heat.
- To heated pan, add cooking oil and then chard stems and sausage. Cook, breaking sausage apart until browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain any excess oil out of the pan and return pan to heat.
- To sausage, add chard leaves and saute until leaves are wilted, ~3 minutes.
- Pour eggs over sausage and stir to combine ingredients.
- Bake frittata 20 to 25 minutes. (Frittata is done when eggs are set and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.)
- Just before serving, toss greens with olives and pecans. Add vinaigrette until dressed to your liking.
- Slice frittata and serve with salad on the side.