Tex Mex Rice Bowls
with sweet potatoes and beans / lime slaw / cheese
We love variations on a burrito bowl, but this one is particularly flavorful, using sweet potatoes and beans seasoned with a Mexican spice blend as the topping. Assemble the bowls together or set all of the toppings out and let everyone assemble their own.
Tex Mex Rice Bowls:
- Sweet potatoes - 1 lb , peeled and cubed
- Onions, medium - 1/2 , diced
- Limes - 1 , wedges
- Beans, pinto (15 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed (sub any type of canned beans)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Mexican spice blend (ingredients listed separately) - 2 1/2 tsp
- Tomato sauce / puree (15 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Cheese, shredded Mexican blend - 1 cup (sub cheddar)
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/3 cup
- Coleslaw mix - 10 oz
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 1 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1/2 tsp
Mexican Spice Blend:
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1/4 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/4 tsp
White or Brown Rice:
- Rice, uncooked white or brown - 1 cup
- Rice - (Double if making Thursday’s meal.) For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Sweet potatoes / Onions - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make spice blend - Combine salt, cumin, chili powder, ground coriander, oregano, black pepper, and garlic powder. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make coleslaw - Toss coleslaw mix with oil (portion for coleslaw), lime juice, and brown sugar. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Limes - Slice limes.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a Dutch oven or large skillet over medium heat. Add oil (portion for rice bowls) and then onions. Saute until onions are tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add spice blend and sweet potatoes to onions and saute until spices are fragrant, ~1 minute.
- Pour tomato sauce over onions / sweet potatoes and stir, scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer until sweet potatoes are tender, 8 to 10 minutes (depending on the size of the cubes).
- While sweet potatoes cook, give coleslaw a toss and season with some salt and pepper.
- Return to sweet potatoes and stir in beans.
- If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave. (Reserve half if doubled.)
- Set out all ingredients and assemble bowls with rice, sweet potatoes / beans, coleslaw, cheese, and yogurt. Serve lime wedges on the side for squeezing over top. Enjoy!