Asian Kale Salad with Tofu
and peanut dressing / celery / Asian pears
Asian pears and celery add a sweet and crunchy bite to this delightfully balanced kale salad with seared tofu. This meal was last featured in 2018.
Smarts: Dressing the kale and letting it rest in the fridge ahead of time allows the kale to soften for the perfect salad texture.
- Tofu, extra-firm - 16 oz , 1/2" / 1.3 cm cubes (vacuum-packed preferable)
- Celery - 4 ribs , thinly sliced
- Kale, baby - 10 oz (sub 1 bunch kale, chopped, for 4 servings)
- Pears, Asian - 2 , julienned or sliced (sub any pears)
- Mint, fresh - 8 leaves , thinly sliced
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Peanuts - 1/2 cup
- Ginger, fresh - 1 inch , grated
- Peanut butter - 1/4 cup (creamy is preferred, but crunchy will also work)
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 3 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Sriracha - 2 tsp (sub other hot sauce)
- Limes - 1 , juice of
Make dressing - Grate ginger. Soften peanut butter in the microwave for ~30 seconds. Mix with ginger, soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey, oil (portion for dressing), Sriracha (or other hot sauce), and lime juice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Celery - Slice celery. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
Dress kale - Dress kale with half of the dressing. Cover and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes to let the kale tenderize / soften.
Season tofu with some salt and pepper.
Heat a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add oil (portion for salad) and then add tofu to heated oil.
Sear tofu on all sides until golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes total.
Toss dressed kale with celery, pear, mint, and peanuts. Portion out the salad. Top with tofu and drizzle remainder of the dressing over top. Enjoy!