Asian Kale Salad with Tofu
and peanut dressing / celery / Asian pears
Smarts: Dressing the kale and letting it rest in the fridge ahead of time allows the kale to soften for the perfect salad texture.
- Tofu, extra-firm - 16 oz, 1/2" / 1.3 cm cubes (vacuum-packed preferable)
- Celery - 4 ribs, thinly sliced
- Kale, baby - 10 oz (sub 1 bunch kale, chopped, for 4 servings)
- Pears, Asian - 2, julienned or sliced (sub any pears)
- Mint, fresh - 8 leaves, thinly sliced
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Peanuts - 1/2 cup
- Ginger, fresh - 1 inch, grated
- Peanut butter - 1/4 cup (creamy is preferred, but crunchy will also work)
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 3 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Sriracha - 2 tsp (sub other hot sauce)
- Limes - 1, juice of
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first, like in this video. Then slice into 1/2” / 1.3 cm cubes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make dressing - Grate ginger. Soften peanut butter in the microwave for ~30 seconds. Mix with ginger, soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey, oil (portion for dressing), Sriracha (or other hot sauce), and lime juice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Celery - Slice celery. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Dress kale - Dress kale with half of the dressing. Cover and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes to let the kale tenderize / soften.
- Pears / Mint - Prep as directed.
- Season tofu with some salt and pepper.
- Heat a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add oil (portion for salad) and then add tofu to heated oil.
- Sear tofu on all sides until golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes total.
- Toss dressed kale with celery, pear, mint, and peanuts. Portion out the salad. Top with tofu and drizzle remainder of the dressing over top. Enjoy!
Really good and not much work! Added a dash of sesame oil to the dressing.0 Helpful
Made this exactly to specs and hubby loved it but I thought it had to much soy sauce. I’m not a fan of soy and would use less next time around. The pears were delicious and very ripe and made the salad taste very fresh.0 Helpful
I loved it, husband did not.0 Helpful
Made this for company and everyone enjoyed it. I used a baby kale blend and waited until just before serving to dress and it was perfect. Works great to serve deconstructed for the kids, too.0 Helpful
This was SO good. My kids loved it and actually ate some of the kale, which I was surprised by. Definitely going in our favourites!0 Helpful
Definitely don't dress the kale if it is baby kale. It was so super soggy after the 20 minutes! Opps. Great flavor besides that!0 Helpful