Shrimp Fried Ricewith stir-fried ginger cabbage
- Shrimp, peeled and deveined - 1 lb
- Bacon - 4 slices, diced
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 tsp
- Chili garlic sauce - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Green onions - 3 stalks, chopped, green and white parts separate
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Peas and carrots, frozen - 2 cups
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cooked rice (leftover from Monday) - 3 cups
- Cabbage, green or red - 16 oz, thinly sliced (sub coleslaw mix)
- Ginger - 1 Tbsp, finely diced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 tsp
- Sesame seeds, white (opt) - 1 tsp
- Shrimp - Defrost, rinse, and pat dry.
- Cabbage / Ginger / Bacon - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Combine soy sauce, vinegar, chili garlic sauce, and honey. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green onions / Limes - Prep as directed.
- Peas and carrots - Defrost vegetables in the microwave.
- Heat a wok with cooking oil (portion for cabbage) over medium-high heat. Add cabbage and saute until tender but still slightly crunchy, 7 to 8 minutes. (Add some water if the pan starts to look dry.) Add ginger and some salt and saute for 1 minute more. Fold in toasted sesame oil and sesame seeds. Taste and season with some salt. Transfer cabbage to a serving dish and cover to keep warm.
- Return wok to heat and add bacon. Saute until bacon is crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Drain off all but 1 Tbsp of bacon grease and return wok to heat.
- To heated wok, add shrimp and saute until shrimp are opaque and just cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Season with some salt as it cooks. Add shrimp to plate with bacon. Return wok to heat.
- To wok, add cooking oil (portion for fried rice) and then white parts of green onions. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add rice and cook until rice is heated through and starting to crisp on the bottom, ~2 minutes more.
- Add sauce, peas, and carrots. Stir to combine everything.
- Stir in shrimp, bacon, and green parts of green onions.
- Serve fried rice with cabbage and lime wedges on the side. Enjoy!
Yummy!!!!!!! The stir fried cabbage was excellent!!!0 Helpful
This was a great one to make from the freezer! Had frozen shrimp on hand and just used frozen mixed veggies. Threw in some mushrooms and mung beans because we had them. Came together quickly and very cost effective! Skipped the cabbage, had some dumplings (also from the freezer) on the side.0 Helpful
We loved this! I doubled the sauce and added some leftover shredded chicken. We mostly mixed the cabbage and rice together on our plates. The cabbage (used slaw mix) was awesome! I'll definitely remember to make it as a side dish again with other meals.0 Helpful
We didn't have bacon but the recipe was still delicious!! We doubled the rice and sauce and threw in a whole bag of frozen peas and carrots and it was great. The ginger cabbage was really nice eaten with the rice.0 Helpful
This stir fry was so yummy. It felt fresh and healthy. My kids even ate it which is huge!0 Helpful
Bacon in stir fry!?! yes please.0 Helpful