Shrimp Fried Ricewith stir-fried ginger cabbage
- Shrimp, peeled and deveined - 1 lb
- Bacon - 4 slices, diced
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 tsp
- Chili garlic sauce - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Green onions - 3 stalks, chopped, green and white parts separate
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Peas and carrots, frozen - 2 cups
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cooked rice (leftover from Monday) - 3 cups
- Cabbage, green or red - 16 oz, thinly sliced (sub coleslaw mix)
- Ginger - 1 Tbsp, finely diced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 tsp
- Sesame seeds, white (opt) - 1 tsp
- Shrimp - Defrost, rinse, and pat dry.
- Cabbage / Ginger / Bacon - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Combine soy sauce, vinegar, chili garlic sauce, and honey. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green onions / Limes - Prep as directed.
- Peas and carrots - Defrost vegetables in the microwave.
- Heat a wok with cooking oil (portion for cabbage) over medium-high heat. Add cabbage and saute until tender but still slightly crunchy, 7 to 8 minutes. (Add some water if the pan starts to look dry.) Add ginger and some salt and saute for 1 minute more. Fold in toasted sesame oil and sesame seeds. Taste and season with some salt. Transfer cabbage to a serving dish and cover to keep warm.
- Return wok to heat and add bacon. Saute until bacon is crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Drain off all but 1 Tbsp of bacon grease and return wok to heat.
- To heated wok, add shrimp and saute until shrimp are opaque and just cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Season with some salt as it cooks. Add shrimp to plate with bacon. Return wok to heat.
- To wok, add cooking oil (portion for fried rice) and then white parts of green onions. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add rice and cook until rice is heated through and starting to crisp on the bottom, ~2 minutes more.
- Add sauce, peas, and carrots. Stir to combine everything.
- Stir in shrimp, bacon, and green parts of green onions.
- Serve fried rice with cabbage and lime wedges on the side. Enjoy!
This meal has 45 reviews
We didn't have bacon but the recipe was still delicious!! We doubled the rice and sauce and threw in a whole bag of frozen peas and carrots and it was great. The ginger cabbage was really nice eaten with the rice.
This stir fry was so yummy. It felt fresh and healthy. My kids even ate it which is huge!
Bacon in stir fry!?! yes please.
Really good flavors. Liked the rice and loved the cabbage.
This was just ok for me, though admittedly shrimp isn’t my favorite. This was better with the cabbage mixed in, but still didn’t have a ton of flavor - a healthy dose of sriracha did help, though!
Loved this recipe! Would be happy to include this in my regular dinner rotation! I doubled the sauce but I also added more rice since we wanted some leftovers. Easy to make.