Shrimp Fried Rice
with stir-fried ginger cabbage
Smarts: Don’t want to serve the ginger cabbage on the side? Just leave it in the pan and add the other ingredients in the order listed.
- Shrimp, peeled and deveined - 1 lb
- Bacon - 4 slices, diced
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 tsp
- Chili garlic sauce - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Green onions - 3 stalks, chopped, green and white parts separate
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Peas and carrots, frozen - 2 cups
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cooked rice (leftover from Monday) - 3 cups
- Cabbage, green or red - 16 oz, thinly sliced (sub coleslaw mix)
- Ginger - 1 Tbsp, finely diced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 tsp
- Sesame seeds, white (opt) - 1 tsp
- Shrimp - Defrost, rinse, and pat dry.
- Cabbage / Ginger / Bacon - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Combine soy sauce, vinegar, chili garlic sauce, and honey. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green onions / Limes - Prep as directed.
- Peas and carrots - Defrost vegetables in the microwave.
- Heat a wok with cooking oil (portion for cabbage) over medium-high heat. Add cabbage and saute until tender but still slightly crunchy, 7 to 8 minutes. (Add some water if the pan starts to look dry.) Add ginger and some salt and saute for 1 minute more. Fold in toasted sesame oil and sesame seeds. Taste and season with some salt. Transfer cabbage to a serving dish and cover to keep warm.
- Return wok to heat and add bacon. Saute until bacon is crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Drain off all but 1 Tbsp of bacon grease and return wok to heat.
- To heated wok, add shrimp and saute until shrimp are opaque and just cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Season with some salt as it cooks. Add shrimp to plate with bacon. Return wok to heat.
- To wok, add cooking oil (portion for fried rice) and then white parts of green onions. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add rice and cook until rice is heated through and starting to crisp on the bottom, ~2 minutes more.
- Add sauce, peas, and carrots. Stir to combine everything.
- Stir in shrimp, bacon, and green parts of green onions.
- Serve fried rice with cabbage and lime wedges on the side. Enjoy!
Excellent! Immediately added this to favorites!0 Helpful
So good! I added cauliflower and extra sriracha to serve.0 Helpful
Really enjoyed the cabbage. Rice was good. I used more than 3 cups of rice, so I doubled the sauce and added more soy sauce on top of that.0 Helpful
I thought this was good. Because I didn't prep ahead, it took longer than I expected it to take to get on the table. My chili garlic sauce must be potent because I used half the amount called for, and it was still a little spicy for my preschooler.0 Helpful
Yummy!!!!!!! The stir fried cabbage was excellent!!!0 Helpful
This was a great one to make from the freezer! Had frozen shrimp on hand and just used frozen mixed veggies. Threw in some mushrooms and mung beans because we had them. Came together quickly and very cost effective! Skipped the cabbage, had some dumplings (also from the freezer) on the side.0 Helpful