Sausage, Broccoli, and Bell Pepper Soup
with mixed olives
This easy soup is loaded with color and nutrients thanks to a blend of bright vegetables. Be sure to chop the vegetables small so you get some in each spoonful.
Smarts: If you like spicy foods, a good spicy Italian sausage is great here, or just add red pepper flakes until it's spiced to your liking.
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Bell peppers, red - 1, diced
- Broccoli - 12 oz, finely chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Italian sausage, raw - 12 oz (use mild or spicy)
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Stock, any type - 5 cups
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Mixed olives - 1 cup (from the olive bar or choose your favorite pitted olives in a jar)
- Heat a Dutch oven with oil over medium heat. Add sausage and saute, breaking it apart, until it starts to brown.
- Add onions and bell peppers and saute for 3 to 4 minutes more to start them cooking.
- Stir in garlic, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes (if using).
- Pour stock over sausage and vegetables and bring to a simmer.
- Cover pot with a lid and simmer for 10 minutes to let the flavors come together.
- Add broccoli to soup and continue cooking until broccoli is tender, ~2 minutes more.
- Stir lemon juice into soup. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve soup with olives on the side. Enjoy!
I used half the butter for the breadcrumbs. We loved the Mac and cheese (even the beans!!). The pepper was the main flavor I tasted when eating it. I'd like to try it again with different vegetables.1 Helpful
I wanted to like this but I did not. I want to find a recipe for Mac and cheese that doesn't come from a box. The search continues for creamy and smooth.0 Helpful
New family favorite! The only changes we made were to double the garlic (we LOVE garlic) and substitute herbed breadcrumbs for the Panko since that's what we had on hand. Next time we're going to try adding either Mushrooms or crumbled bacon to mix up the flavor a bit. This one is definitely going on our rotation!0 Helpful
My 3 year old ate every bite on her plate and declared that she LOVED this dinner. We are pandemic cooking so used mixed frozen veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, and carrots) which worked surprisingly well. Great pantry staples meal!0 Helpful
Pretty good - though I added some different spices and left out the beans!0 Helpful
Beans were hard to get used to, but helped it to be filling! I would love to mess with this recipe because overall I did like it a lot! So did roommate!0 Helpful
Doubled the panko crumbs per suggestions. Agree that needs some more spice to it.0 Helpful