Lasagna Soupwith Italian sausage / ricotta / mushrooms / spinach
We created this flavorful soup in 2018 to fill a weeknight craving for lasagna with far less work. The soup even includes lasagna noodles (broken into pieces) and a topping of ricotta cheese to give you the same flavors as the original.
Smarts: This soup is great for making ahead / freezing, but wait to add the noodles until right before serving.
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Lasagna noodles - 6 oz, broken into pieces
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Sausage, Italian and raw - 8 oz (use mild or spicy)
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Oregano, dried - 1 tsp
- Basil, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Italian seasoning - 1/2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Stock, any type - 4 cups
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Bay leaves - 2
- Baby spinach - 5 oz
- Cheese, part-skim ricotta - 1/4 cup
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 1 oz, grated
- Onions / Garlic / Lasagna noodles - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Slice mushrooms. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Heat a Dutch oven with oil over medium heat. Stir in onions, garlic, and mushrooms and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add sausage and saute until sausage is breaking apart and nearly cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, oregano, basil, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes and saute until fragrant, ~1 minute more.
- Pour stock and tomatoes (including liquid) over sausage and aromatics. Add bay leaves. Bring to a simmer.
- Stir lasagna noodles into soup and cover.
- Simmer soup just until lasagna noodles are al dente, tender but still with some bite. This should take 10 to 15 minutes, but watch closely to prevent over-cooking the noodles. In the last minute of cooking, stir in spinach leaves.
- Remove bay leaves. Taste soup and season with some salt and pepper.
- Divide soup between serving bowls. Top each bowl with a spoonful of ricotta cheese and some Parmesan cheese (if using). Enjoy!
This meal has 43 reviews
Forgot the ricotta and it was still tasty. Used bow ties instead of lasagna noodles. Very good!
My family all loved this one. I forgot the noodles though, so we enjoyed it noodle-free and it was just as good. :)
Delicious. Would make again, although it indeed took longer than expected. Hoping it re-heats as well as it tastes right now! Used gluten-free rotini, and it held up well.
I had high expectations due to all the five-star reviews, but was not disappointed! I just realized now that I forgot the spinach, but will add it when I re-heat for lunch tomorrow. I should probably have added more water, because it was more like a stew, but it tasted great!
Liked this one. Easy and the kids liked it. I usually don’t like mushrooms much but these were good. Total cook time was 1 hour 3 minutes though. Always seems to take longer than expected
Everyone was happy! I found I needed an extra cup of stock. I used rotini—it was just easier to deal with.