Chard and Bacon Frittatawith roasted cauliflower / spicy mayo
Chard and bacon give this frittata a hearty, earthy flavor. Serve it with roasted cauliflower on the side and a spicy homemade mayo for dipping the cauliflower or drizzling over the frittata slices.
Smarts: Don't forget to reserve half the spicy mayo for tomorrow's meal.
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Chard, any type - 10 leaves, leaves and stems chopped and separate
- Bacon - 8 slices, chopped
- Eggs - 8
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Cauliflower - 1 lb, florets
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, avocado - 1/2 cup
- Eggs - 1
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Hot sauce of choice - 1/2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Cauliflower / Garlic / Chard / Bacon - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating first.) Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make spicy mayo - (This makes enough for 2 nights). In a wide-mouth mason jar or other wide-mouth container, combine avocado oil, egg (portion for mayo), lemon juice, hot sauce, mustard, and salt. Blend with an immersion blender on high until smooth and thick, ~1 minute. Taste and season with some additional salt and / or hot sauce. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Eggs - Whisk eggs (portion for frittata) with salt and pepper.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Toss cauliflower with cooking oil and some salt and pepper. Spread out on a sheet pan. Transfer to oven and roast, shaking the pan halfway through cooking, until very tender and golden brown in spots, 25 to 30 minutes.
- While cauliflower roasts, heat an oven-safe 10.5” to 12” (26 cm to 30 cm) skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon and saute until crisp, 6 to 7 minutes. Transfer bacon to a paper-towel lined plate.
- Drain off all but 1 Tbsp / 15 mL of bacon grease from the pan. Return pan to heat. Add chard stems and saute until tender, ~4 minutes. Add garlic and chard leaves and saute until leaves are fully wilted, 3 to 4 minutes more.
- Pour in eggs and stir until ingredients are all mixed through. Sprinkle bacon over top of frittata.
- Transfer frittata to the oven. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until eggs are set and inserted knife comes out cleanly.
- Slice frittata. Serve with cauliflower and spicy mayo for dipping (remember to reserve half the spicy mayo for Tuesday’s meal).
This meal has 31 reviews
I thought this was delicious and a great way to get protein, though it was more work than eggs and toast should be. It would be better to combine this with another meal where you can reuse some ingredients, for a more convenient meal prep.The smoothie was delightful - who knew dates and pears work in smoothies?!
I didn't make the smoothie, which made this a fairly quick and easy light meal, though not very exciting. I would definitely use the hot sauce and a bit more seasoning than I did next time, but that's on me for being lazy.
Though it was pretty good, it felt like this was a lot of hassle for basically toast and cheese. The smoothie was weird. I didn't care for it.
Not a winner with my family
My family loved this. Okay, my 7 year old liked it, but that’s huge for him. They are Swiss chard!
Subbed spinach for chard for iron. Toddler ate toast with ricotta. Really needs good bread.