Winter Sausage and Mushroom Soup
with carrots / turnips
Smarts #1: Stir Bragg's / coconut aminos into the soup for a rich savory flavor and drizzle each bowl of soup with warm oil infused with fresh green onions.
Smarts #2: This recipe could be made in the Instant Pot. For tips, join the Cook Smarts Instant Pot Facebook Group.
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Carrots - 12 oz, chopped
- Turnips - 6 oz, chopped (sub rutabaga or potatoes)
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced to save time)
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts combined
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Sausage, Italian and raw - 12 oz
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 1 Tbsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Thyme, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Stock, any type - 5 cups
- Tomatoes, petite diced (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Bay leaves - 1
- Oil, olive - 4 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Heat a Dutch oven with cooking oil over medium heat. Add sausage and saute, breaking sausage apart, until cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add onions, carrots, and turnips with some salt. Saute until onions are starting to soften, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, garlic, aminos, oregano, and thyme. Saute until spices are fragrant, ~2 minutes.
- Add stock, tomatoes (including liquid), and bay leaves to pan. Bring to a simmer. Cover with a lid and simmer until turnips are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- While soup simmers, heat a small skillet with olive oil over medium heat. Add white and green parts of onions and cook, stirring frequently, until onions are very tender and oil is fragrant, 5 to 6 minutes.
- When soup is finished, stir in lemon juice. Taste and season with some salt and pepper. Discard bay leaves.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Drizzle warm olive oil with green onions over bowls of soup. Enjoy!
The paleo version was SO good! Very flavorful, filling and perfect for a cold winter night.1 Helpful
Made a mix of Paleo/original, including all the veggies from both and Italian sausage. My kiddos said after that they want this on the menu again next week. "It's the best thing you've ever made Mom! Even better than your lasagna..." High praise from my pickiest eater ;-)0 Helpful
This was delicious. I combined the gluten-free and vegetarian options. It was hearty and wonderful with beans and brown rice. The whole family enjoyed it, especially with a little parmesan cheese on top.0 Helpful
Very good! Lots of flavor, I doubled the batch so I would have leftovers and they were eaten up very quickly. I enjoyed incorporating turnips into our meal as well since we don’t often have those.0 Helpful
Meh! This recipe is just a baseline. I’m not knowledgeable enough to take it to the next level.0 Helpful
Really good. The miso added some nice depth to the flavor.0 Helpful
I was going to freeze the leftovers but then ate them all. Found this to be super quick in the instant pot and a good use of turnips.0 Helpful