Winter Sausage and Mushroom Soup
with carrots / turnips
A bowl of vegetable-packed soup is the perfect cozy meal for cold winter months. This one gets a seasonal twist with root vegetables and mushrooms.
Smarts #1: Stir Bragg's / coconut aminos into the soup for a rich savory flavor and drizzle each bowl of soup with warm oil infused with fresh green onions.
Smarts #2: This recipe could be made in the Instant Pot. For tips, join the Cook Smarts Instant Pot Facebook Group.
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Carrots - 12 oz, chopped
- Turnips - 6 oz, chopped (sub rutabaga or potatoes)
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced to save time)
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts combined
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Sausage, Italian and raw - 12 oz
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 1 Tbsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Thyme, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Stock, any type - 5 cups
- Tomatoes, petite diced (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Bay leaves - 1
- Oil, olive - 4 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Heat a Dutch oven with cooking oil over medium heat. Add sausage and saute, breaking sausage apart, until cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add onions, carrots, and turnips with some salt. Saute until onions are starting to soften, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, garlic, aminos, oregano, and thyme. Saute until spices are fragrant, ~2 minutes.
- Add stock, tomatoes (including liquid), and bay leaves to pan. Bring to a simmer. Cover with a lid and simmer until turnips are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- While soup simmers, heat a small skillet with olive oil over medium heat. Add white and green parts of onions and cook, stirring frequently, until onions are very tender and oil is fragrant, 5 to 6 minutes.
- When soup is finished, stir in lemon juice. Taste and season with some salt and pepper. Discard bay leaves.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Drizzle warm olive oil with green onions over bowls of soup. Enjoy!
Very good! Lots of flavor, I doubled the batch so I would have leftovers and they were eaten up very quickly. I enjoyed incorporating turnips into our meal as well since we don’t often have those.0 Helpful
Meh! This recipe is just a baseline. I’m not knowledgeable enough to take it to the next level.0 Helpful
Really good. The miso added some nice depth to the flavor.0 Helpful
I was going to freeze the leftovers but then ate them all. Found this to be super quick in the instant pot and a good use of turnips.0 Helpful
Delicious warm soup for a cold winter night.0 Helpful
For some reason my soup had a very bitter finish and it ruined the whole soup. Almost like there was rind or something. I think it might have been my turnip. But I think if I had supped a different root veggie it would have been great0 Helpful