Portobello Mushrooms with Lemon-Herb Lentils and roasted Brussels sprouts / sweet potatoes
While the mushrooms and vegetables roast, saute lentils with dried herbs and lemon juice to serve on top. This makes a hearty meal on its own, but it's also an easy one to customize with different vegetables or by adding a salad or grain.
- Brussels sprouts - 1 lb, trimmed and halved
- Sweet potatoes - 1 lb, halved lengthwise and then cut into ½” slices
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Thyme, dried - 1 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Green onions - 4 stalks, chopped, green and white parts separate
- Mushroom, portobello - 4, gills scraped out and stems removed
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Lentils, cooked - 2 cups (use pre-cooked lentils or if cooking from dried, use half the amount of dried and prepare according to package directions)
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Brussels sprouts / Sweet potatoes - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating first.) Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make herb seasoning - Combine thyme, oregano, coriander, salt, and black pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green onions - Chop green onions, keeping white and green parts separate. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Remove stems and scrape out gills. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Toss Brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes with cooking oil and some salt and pepper. Spread out on one sheet pan. Transfer sheet pan to oven and roast vegetables for 24 to 30 min, shaking the pan halfway through cooking.
- When Brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes are cooking, spread mushrooms out on a second sheet pan, hollow side facing up, and brush with first part of olive oil. Transfer to the oven and roast for 15 to 20 minutes, turning halfway through cooking. (Note: When you go to turn the mushrooms, if they released moisture while cooking, drain off excess water and use paper towels or dish towels to pat the mushrooms dry.)
- When the vegetables are nearly finished roasting, heat a skillet with second part of olive oil over medium heat.
- Add white parts of green onions and saute for 1 minute to start cooking.
- Stir in lentils and herb seasoning and saute until everything is warmed through and fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove lentils from heat and stir in lemon juice and green parts of green onions. Taste and season with some salt and pepper.
- Spoon lentils over mushrooms. Serve with vegetables on the side. Enjoy!
This meal has 75 reviews
This one was not too complicated and pretty basic flavor wise. My husband wasn’t a huge fan of the sauce. We aren’t huge pork people so that could be it too. But overall it was a decent meal.
The sauce is delicious!
So good! Loved the herb seasoning.
Made this for company and received rave reviews. Easy prep and cleanup, the only issue I had was that the sweet potatoes weren't cooked through for some reason, maybe I'll try to cut them smaller next time.
I think I may have accidentally used some cooked lentils that were already salted, because they ended up being way too salty and overpowering everything else, which otherwise seemed delicious.