Chickpea “Shawarma” Barley Bowl
with za’atar cauliflower / pistachios / garlic yogurt sauce
For this easily customizable grain bowl, roast cauliflower at high heat to get it tender and golden brown around the edges.
Smarts: Be sure to set aside 1 cup / 237 mL of cooked barley for Thursday's soup (that's for 4 servings, so be sure to adjust if customizing).
- Barley, pearled and uncooked - 1 1/2 cups
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts combined
- Beets, pre-cooked - 6 oz, chopped (from produce section or canned and drained)
- Pistachios, shelled - 1/3 cup
- Cauliflower florets - 1 lb, chopped
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander - 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Za'atar - 2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1 cup
- Lemon juice - 2 Tbsp
- Barley - (This makes enough for 2 nights.) Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt water generously and add barley. Simmer for 45 to 55 minutes until tender but not soggy. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Garlic / Cauliflower - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating first.) Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make yogurt sauce - Combine garlic, yogurt, and lemon juice (portion for yogurt sauce). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green onions / Beets - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Season beans - Drain and rinse beans. Toss beans with cumin, paprika, coriander, and cinnamon. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Heat oven to 450F / 232C.
- Toss cauliflower with oil (portion for cauliflower), za’atar, and some salt and pepper. Spread out on a sheet pan.
- Transfer to oven and bake, shaking the pan halfway through cooking, until cauliflower is golden brown and tender, 18 to 25 minutes. In the last 5 minutes of cooking, pour beans over cauliflower and bake both together until beans are warm.
- If barley was made ahead, reheat in the microwave. (Reserve 1 cup / 237 mL of cooked barley for Thursday; for 4 servings, adjust if customizing.)
- Squeeze lemon juice over cauliflower and beans.
- Set out cauliflower and beans, barley, beets, green onions, pistachios, and yogurt sauce. Let everyone assemble the grain bowls at the table by creating a bed of barley and topping it with other ingredients. Enjoy!
It was okay. Barley takes forever to cook, but we saved time by using the Instant Pot0 Helpful
Just meh.0 Helpful
We skipped the beets and substituted eggplant. The chicken was good and we always love a good yogurt sauce!0 Helpful
This was easy to make, especially with barley made ahead, and I loved the flavors. Beets typically aren’t my favorite, but I didn’t mind them mixed in with everything here. I agree that the garlic yogurt was a bit strong, but again, it worked when mixed in with everything.0 Helpful
Trippled the spices, and made the chicken on the stove, in pueces, to get it crispy. Cauli in the airfryer. Needed more sauce, but very good0 Helpful
This was good, but took a while to make even with the weekend prep. Subbed brown rice for barley. Added diced cucumbers to the yogurt sauce. Will probably double the yogurt sauce for next time.0 Helpful