Chicken Shawarma Cabbage Bowl with za’atar cauliflower / garlic tahini sauce
For this easily customizable bowl, roast marinated chicken and cauliflower together on a single sheet pan. Roasting the chicken at high heat helps it to get golden brown and slightly crisp around the edges as a nod to traditional shawarma, which is cooked on a vertical rotisserie.
- Cabbage, green or red - 1 lb, thinly sliced
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 Tbsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon - 1/4 tsp
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 1 1/2 lbs
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts combined
- Beets, pre-cooked - 6 oz, chopped (from produce section or canned and drained)
- Foil - for baking
- Olives, any pitted variety - 1/3 cup
- Cauliflower florets - 1 lb, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Za'atar - 2 tsp
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Tahini - 1/2 cup
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Cabbage / Garlic (for chicken and tahini sauce) / Cauliflower - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating first.) Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Marinate chicken - Combine garlic (portion for chicken), oil (first portion for chicken), lemon juice (portion for chicken), cumin, paprika, coriander, and cinnamon in a baking dish or Ziploc bag. Add chicken and toss to coat. Tenderize with a fork to allow more of the marinade to soak into the meat. Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make tahini sauce - Combine garlic (portion for tahini sauce), tahini, and lemon juice (portion for tahini sauce). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green onions / Beets - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Heat oven to 450F / 232C.
- Line a sheet pan with foil and brush the foil with some cooking oil.
- Toss cauliflower with oil (portion for cauliflower), za’atar, and some salt and pepper. Spread out on prepared sheet pan.
- Remove chicken from marinade (discard marinade) and nestle into cauliflower. Season the tops of the chicken with some salt and pepper.
- Transfer to oven and bake until cauliflower is golden and tender and chicken is cooked through (registers 165F / 74C degrees), 18 to 25 minutes.
- While cauliflower and chicken roast, heat a skillet with oil (second portion for bowl) over medium heat. Add cabbage and saute until tender, 6 to 7 minutes. Season with some salt and pepper.
- When chicken is done, transfer to a cutting board and chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Set out chicken, cauliflower, cabbage, beets, green onions, olives, and tahini sauce. Let everyone assemble the bowls at the table by creating a bed of cabbage and topping it with other ingredients. Enjoy!
This meal has 86 reviews
We skipped the beets and substituted eggplant. The chicken was good and we always love a good yogurt sauce!
This was easy to make, especially with barley made ahead, and I loved the flavors. Beets typically aren’t my favorite, but I didn’t mind them mixed in with everything here. I agree that the garlic yogurt was a bit strong, but again, it worked when mixed in with everything.
Trippled the spices, and made the chicken on the stove, in pueces, to get it crispy. Cauli in the airfryer. Needed more sauce, but very good
This was good, but took a while to make even with the weekend prep. Subbed brown rice for barley. Added diced cucumbers to the yogurt sauce. Will probably double the yogurt sauce for next time.
We really enjoyed this. It was a decent amount of prep, but worth it. I roasted my own beets because I love beets. I will make this again.