Asian Tofu Tacos
with Asian slaw / Sriracha mayo
It's hard to choose a favorite element of these unique tacos - the sweet and savory tofu, the tangy slaw, or the creamy spicy Sriracha mayo. This is a new twist on the Asian Broccoli Tacos that were featured back in 2015.
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Mayonnaise - 1/3 cup
- Lime juice - 1 tsp
- Sriracha - 1/2 tsp, more or less to taste
- Tofu, extra-firm - 16 oz, 1/2" / 1.3 cm strips (vacuum-packed preferable)
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Avocados - 1, sliced
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Tortillas, taco-sized corn or flour - 12
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, white and green parts combined
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Coleslaw mix - 10 oz
- White sesame seeds (opt) - 2 tsp
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first, like in this video. Then slice into 1/2” / 1.3 cm thick strips. (Make these fairly long and skinny so they will fit inside the tacos.) (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make Sriracha mayo - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating first.) Chop garlic. Combine with mayonnaise, lime juice, and Sriracha. Taste and adjust with more lime juice or Sriracha if you prefer. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Marinate tofu - Place tofu in a baking dish. Whisk together soy sauce (portion for tacos) and honey and pour over tofu. Toss to coat tofu. Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Green onions - Chop green onions, combining white and green parts. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make coleslaw - Whisk together soy sauce (portion for coleslaw), vinegar, brown sugar, and oil. Add coleslaw mix, green onions, and sesame seeds. Toss to combine. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Avocados / Limes - Prep as directed.
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C degrees.
- Transfer baking dish with tofu and marinade to the heated oven. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking, until tofu is heated through and starting to turn golden around the edges.
- Toss coleslaw and season with some salt and pepper.
- Warm tortillas according to package directions.
- Assemble tacos with coleslaw, tofu, avocados, and Sriracha mayo. Serve with lime wedges for squeezing over top. Enjoy!
Doubled the panko mixture after reading other reviews. Was glad I did. These turned out fantastic. Going on the favorites.1 Helpful
Vegetarian verision isn’t great.0 Helpful
I used broccoli slaw mix instead of cole slaw mix. All in all, we liked it, but I found the flavor surprisingly mild. I'd probably jazz them up even more somehow if I repeated it.0 Helpful
Quick and easy and tasty. Used rockfish because I had it, added avocado because I had it and added a bit more sriracha to give it more kick. Had cauliflower on the side (leftovers from the lentil tacos made earlier this week)0 Helpful
So delish! And tastes so fresh!0 Helpful
A great fish recipe, works well with salmon in addition to white fish... comes together easily. On our favorites list!0 Helpful
Loved it. The breading stayed on well and the fish cooked up nicely. Forgot the sesame oil which would have taken this over the top. The slaw was awesome! I'd eat the fish on top of the slaw without the tortillas. Yum!0 Helpful