Asian Fish Tacos
with Asian slaw / Sriracha mayo
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Mayonnaise - 1/3 cup
- Lime juice - 1 tsp
- Sriracha - 1/2 tsp, more or less to taste
- Tilapia - 1 1/2 lbs, chopped into bite-sized pieces (sub any white fish)
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Eggs - 1, whisked
- Panko breadcrumbs - 2/3 cup
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Garlic powder - 3/4 tsp
- White pepper - 1/2 tsp (sub black pepper)
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 Tbsp
- Tortillas, taco-sized corn or flour - 12
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, white and green parts combined
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Coleslaw mix - 10 oz
- White sesame seeds (opt) - 2 tsp
- Make Sriracha mayo - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating first.) Chop garlic. Combine with mayonnaise, lime juice, and Sriracha. Taste and adjust with more lime juice or Sriracha if you prefer. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green onions - Chop green onions, combining white and green parts. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make coleslaw - Whisk together soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, and cooking oil. Add coleslaw mix, green onions, and sesame seeds. Toss to combine. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Fish - Rinse and pat dry. Slice into bite-sized pieces. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Limes - Slice into wedges.
- Prep breading stations - Whisk egg in a bowl large enough to hold all of the fish. Combine panko, salt, garlic powder, white pepper, and toasted sesame oil in a Ziploc bag or baking dish large enough to hold all of the fish.
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C degrees.
- Brush a sheet pan with some cooking oil.
- Coat fish with whisked egg and then breading. (Press the breading into the fish to help it stick.) Spread fish out in a single layer on sheet pan. (If you want the final product to be golden brown, drizzle or brush some cooking oil over top of the fish.)
- Transfer fish to oven and bake for 9 to 11 minutes, until cooked through and golden.
- Toss coleslaw and season with some salt and pepper.
- Warm tortillas according to package directions.
- Assemble tacos with coleslaw, fish, and Sriracha mayo. Serve with lime wedges for squeezing over top. Enjoy!
Doubled the panko mixture after reading other reviews. Was glad I did. These turned out fantastic. Going on the favorites.1 Helpful
Loved it. Great flavor combinations. Would have halved the coleslaw and doubled the sriracha mayo.0 Helpful
Vegetarian verision isn’t great.0 Helpful
I used broccoli slaw mix instead of cole slaw mix. All in all, we liked it, but I found the flavor surprisingly mild. I'd probably jazz them up even more somehow if I repeated it.0 Helpful
Quick and easy and tasty. Used rockfish because I had it, added avocado because I had it and added a bit more sriracha to give it more kick. Had cauliflower on the side (leftovers from the lentil tacos made earlier this week)0 Helpful
So delish! And tastes so fresh!0 Helpful
A great fish recipe, works well with salmon in addition to white fish... comes together easily. On our favorites list!0 Helpful