in a pita wrap with cucumbers and tomatoes
- Parsley - 1/2 bunch, chopped
- Red onion - 1/2, diced
- Sundried tomatoes - 1/4 cup, chopped
- Ground meat - 1 lb ((turkey, pork, chicken will all work))
- Oregano - 1 tsp + 1/4 tsp
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1/2 to 3/4 cup
- Crushed garlic - 1 Tbsp
- Salt - 3/4 tsp
- Pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Cucumbers - 1/2 lb, chopped
- Tomatoes - 1, chopped
- Lemon juice - 2 Tbsp
- Sour cream - 2 Tbsp
- Olive oil - 1 Tbsp
- Spinach - 1/4 lb
- Pitas - 4
- Parsley / Red onion / Sundried tomatoes - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make meatballs - Mix together ground meat with parsley, onions, sundried tomatoes, first part of oregano, panko (start with less and add more if filling is too wet to form into a meatball), crushed garlic, salt, and pepper. Form into 1 1/2" (3.75 cm) wide meatballs. Place meatballs onto a cooling rack that's been placed into a sheet pan. Cover and refrigerate if not making immediately. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Preheat oven to 400F (204C) degrees.
- Place meatballs into top rack of the oven and bake for 15 to 18 minutes, until temperature reaches 165F (74C) degrees. Any fat will drip through the cooling rack onto the sheet pan.
- While meatballs are cooking, chop cucumbers and tomatoes. Mix lemon juice, second part of oregano, sour cream, and olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss cucumbers, tomatoes, and spinach with dressing.
- Warm up pitas in the oven during last few minutes of cooking. Wrap meatballs and salad in pitas.
- If you're making tomorrow night's dinner, you can get a head start on marinating.
We loved these! We used ground lamb as the protein. The sauce didn’t taste too flavorful on its own, but it was awesome on the dish!0 Helpful
I was doing some digging around and stumbled on this old recipe. We loved the meatballs! I cooked them in my instant pot and finished them off in the broiler.0 Helpful
Used ground pork. Delicious! I forgot spinach and tomatoes so just doubled the cucumber and added some green onions, a few more sundried tomatoes, and feta. It was soooo good on the pita with the meatballs!0 Helpful
I made this with ground turkey. It was awesome0 Helpful
We didn't make the salad, so my 4 stars is strictly for the meatballs. They were to die for with the sun-dried tomatoes and ground lamb! My hubby improvised some yogurt (since we needed to use it) with cucumber, lemon juice, and zatar - yum!!! We will definitely make this meal again, and next time with the salad.0 Helpful
Yum! Loved the salad in my pita with the meatballs.0 Helpful