Waffles with Balsamic Fruit and fried eggs
- Butter or cooking oil - 2 Tbsp
- Eggs - 4
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- Eggs - 1
- Buttermilk, low-fat - 3/4 cup
- Flour, whole wheat - 1 cup (sub all-purpose flour)
- Sugar - 2 tsp + 1/2 tsp
- Baking powder - 1 tsp
- Baking soda - 1/4 tsp
- Strawberries - 12 oz, quartered (sub other berries)
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Maple syrup - for serving
- Make waffle mix - Melt butter (portion for waffles; 45 to 60 seconds in the microwave should do). Mix together wet ingredients - butter, eggs (portion for waffles), and buttermilk - in a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, first portion of sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and stir everything to combine.
- Fruit - Wash and slice fruit. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Prepare fruit - Toss with balsamic vinegar and second portion of sugar.
- Heat oven to 200F / 93C (to keep waffles warm while you’re making eggs). Preheat waffle maker.
- Following your waffle maker instructions, pour batter into waffle maker (you may have to do this in batches depending on the size of your waffle maker). Bake waffles to your liking and transfer to oven to keep warm.
- While waffles are staying warm, heat up a griddle or non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add butter or cooking oil (portion for fried eggs) to pan and then crack eggs into melted butter or heated oil. Fry until the edges are crisp and then flip. Cook until yolks are done to your liking. Fry in batches until done (you may need to add more butter or oil to the pan).
- Enjoy waffles with fruit on top and drizzle with maple syrup. Enjoy eggs on the side. Season eggs with salt, pepper, or some hot sauce.
This meal has 25 reviews
I've never understood the hype around chicken and waffles but this was delicious!
Very good, roasted green beans were especially good. Went light on the mustard since my wife doesn't like it; could have left it out. Was asked to make extra batch of waffles!
I have always thought chicken with waffles sounded blah. But this was pretty amazing!
The whole family enjoyed!
Great! Used chicken tenderloins and did the prep ahead of time, so this came together pretty quickly.
First of all, this is my new waffle recipe. So easy and delicious. I don't like green beans so I didn't make those, but the chicken and waffles were both great. Next time I'll make the chicken in the air fryer for extra crispiness, and I'll probably double the waffle since we had quite a bit if leftover chicken with no leftover waffles.