Chicken and Waffles
with green beans
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, sliced into 1/2" / 1.3 cm pieces
- Salt - 1/4 tsp + 1/4 tsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Buttermilk, low-fat - 1/4 cup
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1 cup
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Foil - for lining pan
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- Eggs - 1
- Buttermilk, low-fat - 3/4 cup
- Flour, whole wheat - 1 cup (sub all-purpose flour)
- Sugar - 2 tsp
- Baking powder - 1 tsp
- Baking soda - 1/4 tsp
- Maple syrup - for serving
- Green beans - 1 lb, trimmed
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Marinate chicken - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating first.) Slice chicken breasts into 1/2” / 1.3 cm thick pieces. In a bowl, mix together first part of salt, hot sauce, Dijon (portion for chicken), and buttermilk (portion for chicken). Transfer sliced chicken into buttermilk and then tenderize with a fork. Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Green beans - Trim green beans. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together vinegar and mustard. Add first portion of olive oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make panko mix - Mix together panko, paprika, second part of salt, and cooking oil in a container that has a lid (like a large Tupperware). (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Make waffle mix - Melt butter (45 to 60 seconds in the microwave should do). Mix together wet ingredients - butter, eggs, and buttermilk (portion for waffles) - in a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and stir everything to combine.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C. Preheat waffle maker.
- Line a sheet pan with foil and brush the entire pan lightly with some cooking oil (this will help prevent the breaded chicken from sticking). Toss green beans with second portion of olive oil and some salt and pepper. Spread out on one half of the pan (if the pan will be crowded with both green beans and chicken, use two sheet pans).
- Brush excess buttermilk off chicken and transfer chicken one piece at a time into panko mix. Close lid and shake your container until chicken is coated in panko. If the panko is not sticking well, use your hands to press the breading into the chicken. Place panko crusted chicken onto the other side of the sheet pan with the green beans.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, until green beans are tender and chicken is cooked through (reaches an internal temperature of 160F / 71C). Flip chicken midway through cooking.
- Following your waffle maker instructions, pour batter into waffle maker (you may have to do this in batches depending on the size of your waffle maker). Bake waffles to your liking.
- When green beans are done, toss warm beans with vinaigrette. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve chicken over waffles with maple syrup. Enjoy green beans on the side.
Just okay. The green beans were a hit and will stay in my rotation.0 Helpful
I've never understood the hype around chicken and waffles but this was delicious!0 Helpful
Very good, roasted green beans were especially good. Went light on the mustard since my wife doesn't like it; could have left it out. Was asked to make extra batch of waffles!0 Helpful
I have always thought chicken with waffles sounded blah. But this was pretty amazing!0 Helpful
The whole family enjoyed!0 Helpful
Great! Used chicken tenderloins and did the prep ahead of time, so this came together pretty quickly.0 Helpful