Tex Mex Salad with Ground Beef
and honey-adobo dressing
A classic taco salad is one of our favorite back-pocket meals. This paleo-friendly version is made with ground beef, olives, avocados, and a sweet and spicy dressing. It's a great meal if you're cooking for one or two, but you can also set everything out like a taco bar, making it an easy meal to DIY if you've got a house full of people.
Smarts: Don't hesitate to customize this meal. Taco salad makes a great base for leftover vegetables, your favorite protein, and extra toppings.
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Adobo sauce - 1 Tbsp (usually found with canned chipotle peppers)
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Bell peppers, any color - 1, diced
- Beef, ground - 1 lb
- Lettuce, any crisp variety like iceberg or Boston leaf - 8 oz, shredded
- Tomatoes, Roma - 4, chopped
- Avocados - 1, diced
- Olives, black and sliced (4 oz / 113 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Pepitas / pumpkin seeds - 1/4 cup
- Make honey-adobo dressing - Whisk together vinegar, adobo sauce, honey, paprika (portion for dressing), and oil (portion for dressing). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make spice mix - Combine cumin, coriander, paprika (portion for salad), garlic powder, and salt. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers - Dice bell peppers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Season ground beef - Combine beef with spice mix. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Lettuce / Tomatoes / Avocados - Prep as directed.
- Olives - Drain and rinse.
- Heat a skillet with oil (portion for taco salad) over medium-high heat. Add ground beef and saute until beef is cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes. Set aside and allow to cool slightly.
- Assemble salads by forming a bed of lettuce and topping it with bell peppers, tomatoes, avocados, and olives. Top with beef and pepitas.
- Dress salads with honey-adobo dressing. Enjoy!
Very tasty! But lots of chopping. Unless you do the prep, it’s easy but not that quick. Quick clean up, though. And everyone loved it.0 Helpful
Fabulous! We are trying to eat two vegetarian meals a week and this was our first from CS. It was truly excellent!0 Helpful
Delicious and easy!0 Helpful
We love it! Going in the regular rotation.0 Helpful
I had extra meat so I doubled the spice mix and the dressing amount, which gave plenty of flavor to the dish. My husband, who usually is so-so on Mexican food, gave this high marks and by making extra portions I had an easy quick salad option for another meal.0 Helpful
I was skeptical about how filling this would be, but I was surprisingly full. I will definitely do this again and make a little more sauce.0 Helpful