Mushroom, Bell Pepper, and Cheese Breakfast Casserolewith bacon / Bloody Mary cocktails
This brunch-friendly casserole can really be served at any time of day. If you're celebrating Christmas, the casserole can be assembled ahead and left in the refrigerator overnight, making it an easy meal to serve on a busy, celebratory morning.
Smarts: Just for fun, we're including a recipe for a Bloody Mary Cocktail. Most of the ingredients are optional (including the alcohol) because the drinks will be fine, though a bit less flavorful, if you want to skip one. Customize the drinks however you'd like and be sure to taste and adjust as you go.
- Bell peppers, red - 1, diced
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Cheese, Colby Jack or cheddar - 4 oz, shredded (look for pre-shredded to save time)
- Baguette - 8 oz, cubed (sub any type of bread)
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Eggs - 8
- Milk - 1 cup
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Bacon - 8 strips
- Limes - 1, juice of
- Celery salt - 1/2 tsp
- Horseradish (opt) - 2 tsp (more or less to taste)
- Tomato juice - 4 cups
- Hot sauce - to taste
- Vodka (opt) - 4 Tbsp
- Celery stalks (opt) - for serving
- Olives, green (opt) - for serving
- Bell peppers / Onions / Cheese - Prep as directed. Combine bell peppers and onions in one container. Store cheese separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Baguette / Mushrooms - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make Bloody Mary mix - Whisk together lime juice, celery salt, horseradish, tomato juice, and hot sauce. Taste and add more lime juice if you’d like it more tart and more horseradish or hot sauce for more spice. You can also add more celery salt if you’d like more of that celery flavor. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Eggs - Whisk eggs with milk, salt, and pepper.
- Heat oven to 350F / 177C. Spray a square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray or brush with some cooking oil.
- While oven heats, heat a large saute pan with oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms and saute until mushrooms are golden brown and very tender, ~8 minutes.
- To mushrooms, add onions and bell peppers and continue cooking until onions are soft, 3 to 4 minutes more. Season with some salt.
- To prepared baking dish add half the bread cubes, half the sauteed vegetables, and then half the cheese. Repeat those layers, ending with cheese on top.
- Pour egg mixture over casserole.
- Transfer baking dish to oven and bake, uncovered, until eggs are nearly set in the middle, 40 to 45 minutes.
- After the dish is finished baking, leave it on the stovetop for 5 minutes before you slice into it. (The eggs will continue to firm up while the casserole sits.)
- While casserole is resting (or near the end of cooking), heat a griddle or large skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and fry on both sides until crisp, ~8 minutes total. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Stir vodka (if using) into Bloody Mary mix. Divide between glasses and garnish with celery stalks and olives.
- Slice casserole and serve with bacon. Enjoy Bloody Mary cocktails on the side.
This meal has 13 reviews
Loved this. Delicious. Didn’t make the bloody Mary’s.
This was a winner on Christmas morning, thanks CS! Cooked bacon ahead and then added to the casserole. Added a strawberry/banana "candy cane" to the plate. And had the bloody marys without alcohol and ate a ton of celery.
This was pretty good, relatively easy, and not terribly ingredient intensive (skipped the bloody marys). Just went ahead and added the bacon, chopped, into the casserole. Gonna pair with an actual veggie (read: green) next time. Maybe add kale next time to it.
I feel like every other recipe I make on this site is possibly my favorite. This was sooo good! I cannot wait to make it for brunch guests in the future. We skipped the mushrooms since our household is not a fan and I subbed turkey bacon for regular since that's what we had on hand. Next time around I'll add in some Ortega chillis. I am already looking forward to making this again.
I enjoyed this a lot. I wish I'd read the recipe closer. I sauteed the mushrooms, but not the rest of the veggies. It was good anyway, but probably would have been better if I'd followed directions. I put the bacon in the casserole, rather than serving it on the side.
Good. Made in 8 round & Took much longer time then listed-45 min.