Chicken Stew with White Beans and Chard
with balsamic vinaigrette side salad
A hearty chicken stew that is packed with beans and greens is exactly the type of meal we look for in the coldest, darkest weeks of winter. This version was last featured in 2018.
Balsamic Vinaigrette Salad:
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Apples, preferably a tart variety like Granny Smith - 1 , chopped
- Mixed greens - 5 oz
- Sunflower seeds - 2 Tbsp (sub any nuts)
Chicken Stew with White Beans and Chard:
- Onions, medium - 1 , chopped
- Carrots - 8 oz , chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Parsley (opt) - 1 Tbsp , chopped
- Chard, any type - 4 leaves , chopped, leaves and stems separate
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb , cubed
- Beans, cannellini or butter (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Flour, any gluten-free - 1/4 cup
- Thyme, dried - 1 tsp
- Stock, any type - 3 cups
- Bay leaves - 2
- Peas, frozen - 1 1/2 cups
- Onions / Carrots / Garlic / Parsley - Prep as directed. Combine onions, carrots, and garlic. Store parsley separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together vinegar, mustard, and honey. Add olive oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chard - Chop chard, keeping leaves and stems separate. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Chicken - Cube chicken. Tenderize with a fork and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Apples - Chop apples.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat a Dutch oven or large skillet with cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and saute just until the outside of the chicken is cooked, ~3 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate and return pan to the heat.
- To the hot pan add onions, carrots, garlic, and chard stems with a pinch of salt. Saute until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add parsley and saute for 1 minute more.
- Add flour and thyme and stir for ~1 minute, until no white spots of flour remain.
- Add stock, bay leaves, and peas (no need to defrost them first) and bring to a simmer, scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in chicken, beans, and chard leaves and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer stew on low for 10 minutes to let the flavors come together and the chicken cook through. Taste and season with some salt and pepper, if needed.
- When stew is nearly finished simmering, toss mixed greens with apples, sunflower seeds, and vinaigrette.
- Serve stew with salad on the side. Enjoy!