Massaman Chicken Curry
with cauliflower rice / broccoli
Massaman curry is a mild curry that is made with fragrant spices and coconut milk. Though the flavors take inspiration from India, the curry is most common in Thailand. This meal was previously featured in 2018.
Smarts: This recipe could be made in the Instant Pot. For tips, join the Cook Smarts Instant Pot Facebook Group.
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Shallots - 2 cloves, diced
- Ginger - 1 inch, grated
- Curry paste, Massaman - 2 Tbsp (sub red curry paste)
- Coriander, ground - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon - 1/2 tsp
- Broccoli - 12 oz, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 1/4 cup
- Cauliflower - 12 oz, florets
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Sweet potatoes - 12 oz, peeled and cubed
- Onions, red - 1/2, thinly sliced
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Coconut milk, light - 1 cup
- Tamarind concentrate - 2 Tbsp
- Fish sauce - 1 Tbsp (sub aminos)
- Sunflower seed butter - 1 Tbsp (sub any nut butter)
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Cilantro (opt) - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Cauliflower rice - Pulse florets in a food processor until broken up into ‘rice’-sized bits. Cook rice in one of two ways: 1) Microwave for 4 to 5 minutes and then fold in butter. Season with some salt and pepper; or 2) Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add butter. Saute cauliflower in heated butter for ~5 minutes, until tender but still crunchy. Season to taste with some salt and pepper. Watch this video for the full how-to on cauliflower rice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Sweet potatoes / Onions / Broccoli / Garlic / Shallots / Ginger - Prep as directed. Store sweet potatoes, onions, and broccoli each in their own container. Combine garlic, shallots, and ginger in one container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make curry base - Combine garlic, shallots, ginger, curry paste, coriander, cumin, and cinnamon. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Chop chicken into bite-sized pieces. Tenderize with a fork and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat a Dutch oven with oil (portion for curry) over medium-high heat. Add chicken and saute until chicken is golden brown on the outside but not cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add curry base and onions and saute until onions are starting to soften, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes, stock (portion for curry), and coconut milk. Bring to a low simmer and cover with the lid.
- Simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- When curry is nearly finished, heat a wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil (portion for broccoli) and then broccoli and a pinch of salt. Saute broccoli for 2 minutes to get it started cooking.
- Pour stock (portion for the broccoli) over top and cover with a lid or foil. Steam broccoli until tender, ~5 minutes.
- Return to curry and stir in tamarind concentrate, fish sauce, and sunflower seed butter. Simmer, uncovered, for 1 minute more.
- Slice limes into wedges and chop cilantro.
- Remove curry from heat and squeeze half the lime wedges over top. Season with some salt.
- If cauliflower rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Serve curry over cauliflower rice with cilantro on top and broccoli on the side. Serve with extra lime wedges for squeezing over curry and / or broccoli. Enjoy!
Loved it, but I am partial to curries.0 Helpful
So good.0 Helpful
This was fine, we felt like it was missing another spice, or flavor to really stand out as being one that we want to make again.0 Helpful
Used chicken breast tenders, added spinach and a bit of tomato paste. Used the chopped peanuts as topping. We loved it.0 Helpful
This was good and possibly better if I had gotten the coconut milk and not unsweetened coconut milk. 😳 I prepped ahead but lets just say a lot of clean-up after the meal. The cooking part didn’t take long. This was my first try with curry so I expected a learning curve. I will try again.0 Helpful
Delicious had to make the following substitutions Tamarind paste - equal amount of lime juice and brown sugar Massaman curry paste - green curry paste0 Helpful