Mediterranean Chopped Chicken Salad
with marinated artichokes / feta / kale
Chop each of the Mediterranean ingredients in this salad into small pieces so that you get all of the flavors in every bite.
Smarts: Kale is a polarizing ingredient in our salads. If you're hesitant about kale's tough leaves, be sure to follow instructions in the recipe to "massage" the leaves with some vinaigrette, which will make them more tender. Baby kale is another good option that comes in small leaves that don't need to be prepped before serving.
- Kale, any type - 10 oz, stems discarded, leaves chopped (sub baby kale)
- Bell peppers, red - 1, diced
- Artichoke hearts, marinated (12 oz / 340 g) - 1 can, drained, rinsed, and chopped
- Capers - 1 Tbsp, drained
- Pistachios, shelled - 1/4 cup (look for pre-shelled)
- Cheese, feta - 4 oz, crumbled
- Chicken breast, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, chopped
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 4 Tbsp
- Garlic / Kale / Bell peppers / Artichokes / Capers - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together garlic, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, honey, and Italian seasoning. Add olive oil while whisking. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Chop chicken. Tenderize with a fork and season with salt, oregano, paprika, and black pepper. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Place kale in a large bowl and add 1 Tbsp / 15 ml of vinaigrette (for 4 servings; adjust if customizing) and use your hands to rub the vinaigrette into the kale leaves. (“Massaging” the kale will help to tenderize the leaves. Skip this step if using baby kale.) Set aside.
- Heat a wok or skillet with cooking oil over medium heat. Add chicken and saute until chicken is cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Return to kale and add bell peppers, artichokes, capers, and pistachios. Crumble feta on top. (Note: You can also assemble salads with the ingredients added on top of the kale as shown in the photos.) Toss with remaining vinaigrette until dressed to your liking.
- Divide salad between serving bowls. Add warm chicken on top. Enjoy!
Soooo good!! Massaged the leaves very well!! Everyone lived this. I’ll make it again for sure just the way it was written.0 Helpful
Hubs don’t like kale but he loved the salad either way so that’s a win because I love kale! I would just skip the artichoke hearts next time, just not a fan0 Helpful
Great flavor combination!0 Helpful
I love all the salads you create. It was flavorful and filling. I like eating kale :)0 Helpful
Really good, but the kale was a challenge. I really massaged it but it was still tough to eat and not really pleasant. I added some rice to the salad to have a little more in each mouthful.0 Helpful
Tasty and very easy to make. Love the dressing!0 Helpful