Shrimp and Cauliflower Saute
with bacon / collard greens
Smarts: The grits in this recipe could be made in the Instant Pot. For tips, join the Cook Smarts Instant Pot Facebook Group.
- Shrimp, peeled and deveined - 1 1/2 lbs
- Cauliflower - 1 lb, florets
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts separate
- Paprika, smoked - 1 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Water - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Bacon - 8 strips, chopped
- Collard greens - 12 oz, roughly chopped (sub any sturdy greens like kale or Swiss chard)
- Stock, any type - 3/4 cup
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Vinegar, apple cider - 2 tsp
- Shrimp - Defrost shrimp.
- Cauliflower / Garlic / Onions / Bacon - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Collard greens - Roughly chop collard greens. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Green onions - Chop green onions, keeping green and white parts separate.
- Make shrimp seasoning - Combine garlic, paprika, cumin, and salt.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until bacon is crisp. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Drain of all but 1 Tbsp / 15 ml (for 4 servings; adjust if customizing) of bacon grease out of the pan and return pan to medium heat.
- To heated pan, add onions and saute until onions are tender and golden, 5 to 6 minutes. Add collard greens and saute until wilted, ~5 minutes more. Add stock and red pepper flakes and cover with a lid. Let collard greens simmer, covered, until tender, 35 to 40 minutes. (Note: If using kale or chard, these will cook to tender much faster and should be ready in 5 to 10 minutes.)
- When collard greens are nearly finished, heat a saute pan or skillet with oil over medium heat. Add cauliflower and cook until golden brown, turning to cook on all sides, 4 to 5 minutes total. Add water (be careful - it will steam) and cover with a lid. Steam cauliflower, covered, until tender, ~3 minutes.
- Remove the lid and stir in shrimp, white parts of green onions, and shrimp seasoning. Saute until shrimp is opaque and cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Squeeze lemon juice over cauliflower and shrimp.
- Return to collard greens and drain off any excess liquid that remains. Stir in vinegar. Taste and season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve shrimp and cauliflower over collard greens. Top with bacon and green parts of green onions. Enjoy!
Loved it. Next time we'd roast the cauliflower to speed up the cook time. Served over rice because I forgot polenta.0 Helpful
A great combo!0 Helpful
Great! Can’t wait to make again!!0 Helpful
shrimp and grits are just about my favorite meal ever!! This is a great recipe!0 Helpful
First time having grits. Next time I would sub polenta or mashed yukons.0 Helpful
bacon made the polenta taste way better. Kids liked it. thumbs up0 Helpful