Shrimp, Cauliflower, and Bacon Saute
with cheesy grits
Smarts: The grits in this recipe could be made in the Instant Pot. For tips, join the Cook Smarts Instant Pot Facebook Group.
- Shrimp, peeled and deveined - 1 lb
- Cauliflower - 1 lb, florets
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Bacon - 6 strips, chopped
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts separate
- Paprika, smoked - 1 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Water - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Water - 3 cups
- Milk, any type - 1 cup
- Grits or polenta - 1 cup (look for a more fine ground for quicker cooking)
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- Cheese, shredded Mexican blend - 2 oz
- Combine water (portion for grits) and milk in a saucepan. Bring it to a boil over medium heat (watch the pan and adjust the heat because boiled milk will quickly spill over). Add in grits / polenta with salt (portion for grits). Lower heat and simmer 20 to 30 minutes until liquid is all absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- While grits are cooking, heat a large saute pan or skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until bacon is crisp. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Drain of all but 1 Tbsp / 15 ml (for 4 servings; adjust if customizing) of bacon grease out of the pan and return pan to medium heat.
- To heated pan, add cauliflower and cook until golden brown, turning to cook on all sides, 4 to 5 minutes total. Add water (portion for saute; be careful - it will steam) and cover with a lid. Steam cauliflower, covered, until tender, ~3 minutes.
- Remove the lid and stir in shrimp, white parts of green onions, and shrimp seasoning. Saute until shrimp is opaque and cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Squeeze lemon juice over cauliflower and shrimp.
- When grits are finished cooking, whisk in butter and cheese. Taste and season with some more salt, if needed.
- Serve shrimp and cauliflower over grits. Top with bacon and green parts of green onions. Enjoy!
Loved it. Next time we'd roast the cauliflower to speed up the cook time. Served over rice because I forgot polenta.0 Helpful
A great combo!0 Helpful
Great! Can’t wait to make again!!0 Helpful
shrimp and grits are just about my favorite meal ever!! This is a great recipe!0 Helpful
First time having grits. Next time I would sub polenta or mashed yukons.0 Helpful
bacon made the polenta taste way better. Kids liked it. thumbs up0 Helpful