Chicken with Mushroom White Wine Sauce
and kale salad with dried cranberries
- Nuts, pecans - 1/3 cup , chopped
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Kale, baby - 5 oz
- Cranberries, dried - 1/4 cup
- Cheese, goat (opt) - 3 oz , crumbled (sub feta)
- Shallots - 1 bulb , diced
- Mushrooms, cremini or brown - 6 oz , sliced (look for pre-sliced to save time)
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb , halved and pounded thin
- Flour - 3/4 cup
- Wine, white - 1/2 cup (sub stock)
- Stock, any type - 1/2 cup
- Heavy cream - 1/4 cup (sub half and half or milk, but sauce will be less creamy)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Thyme, dried - 1/2 tsp
Pecans / Shallots - Prep as directed and store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Toast pecans - You can leave the pecans raw for the salad or, if you prefer, toast them in a dry skillet over medium heat until fragrant. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Mushrooms - Slice mushrooms (if not pre-sliced). (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
Prep sauce - Combine wine, stock, and cream.
Whisk vinegar, mustard, and honey together in a large mixing bowl. Add olive oil while whisking. Top with pecans, kale, cranberries, and crumbled goat cheese (if using). Wait to toss it all together until just before serving. Set salad aside while preparing chicken.
Heat a saute pan or skillet over medium heat. Add first part of cooking oil. To hot oil, add chicken and sear on both sides until golden brown and cooked through, ~3 minutes on each side (do this in batches and add some additional oil if your pan cannot hold all of the chicken). Transfer chicken to a plate and return skillet to the heat.
Add second part of cooking oil and then mushrooms to heated pan. Saute, scraping up any bits on the bottom of the pan, until mushrooms are golden brown, ~5 minutes. Add shallots and thyme and saute until shallots are fragrant, ~2 minutes more.
Pour sauce over mushrooms and increase heat to high. Simmer until sauce reduces by half, 4 to 6 minutes. Season with some salt and pepper.
Add chicken back to pan and use a spoon to coat with sauce (don’t worry if the chicken is overlapping). Leave over heat for 1 minute to rewarm chicken and allow the flavors to come together.
Toss salad just before serving.
Serve chicken with mushrooms and sauce over top. Enjoy with salad on the side.