with sundried tomato parsley pesto
- Garlic - 4 cloves , minced
- Onions - 1 , diced
- Carrots - 3/4 lb , diced
- Celery - 2 stalks , diced
- Potatoes - 3/4 lb , diced
- Thyme - 2 tsp
- Diced tomatoes (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can , drained
- Bay leaf - 1
- Chicken stock - 6 cups
- Salt - 1 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Parsley - 1/4 bunch
- Sundried tomatoes in oil - 1/4 cup
- Kidney beans (14oz / 397g can) - 1 can , rinsed and drained
- Leftover pasta - 2 cups
- Parmesan cheese - for serving over soup , grated
- Heat a >5 quart Dutch oven (4.73 liters) over medium-high heat. Add oil and then garlic, onions, carrots, celery, potatoes, and thyme to heated oil with a generous dash of salt. Saute for ~5 minutes.
- Add in drained tomatoes, bay leaf, stock, salt and pepper. Cover and bring to a boil and then simmer for another 15 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- While soup is cooking, chop parsley and sundried tomatoes together, forming a hand-chopped pesto.
- Stir in beans and leftover pasta and season soup to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm in bowls and finish with a spoon of pesto and parmesan cheese if desired.