with sundried tomato parsley pesto
- Garlic - 4 cloves, minced
- Onions - 1, diced
- Carrots - 3/4 lb, diced
- Celery - 2 stalks, diced
- Potatoes - 3/4 lb, diced
- Thyme - 2 tsp
- Diced tomatoes (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can, drained
- Bay leaf - 1
- Chicken stock - 6 cups
- Salt - 1 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Parsley - 1/4 bunch
- Sundried tomatoes in oil - 1/4 cup
- Kidney beans (14oz / 397g can) - 1 can, rinsed and drained
- Leftover pasta - 2 cups
- Parmesan cheese - for serving over soup, grated
- Heat a >5 quart Dutch oven (4.73 liters) over medium-high heat. Add oil and then garlic, onions, carrots, celery, potatoes, and thyme to heated oil with a generous dash of salt. Saute for ~5 minutes.
- Add in drained tomatoes, bay leaf, stock, salt and pepper. Cover and bring to a boil and then simmer for another 15 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- While soup is cooking, chop parsley and sundried tomatoes together, forming a hand-chopped pesto.
- Stir in beans and leftover pasta and season soup to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm in bowls and finish with a spoon of pesto and parmesan cheese if desired.
Great soup! I skipped the pasta and pesto, and only used 3 cups of broth. Very good!0 Helpful
I am happy I added a 1 tsp of red pepper flakes in step 20 Helpful
Liked the butternut squash, but really missed the beans in the paleo version. Without the beans and pasta in the paleo, it's just veggie soup.0 Helpful
I made this as the original version, but subbed in butternut squash instead of potato. We were worried about the butternut squash cooking all the way because we didn't dice it, more like chunked it. So we cooked the onions and garlic, then added the butternut squash and cooked for about 10 minutes till it started to caramelize a little. Otherwise, we followed the recipe the same. One thing I'll mention -- the ingredients list just says "sundried tomatoes" but if you watch the video, they were clearly sundried tomatoes in oil. I added oil to my pesto and it all turned out, but it would be nice if the ingredient list was more specific. I suspect this is covered in the notes for the week, but I made this recipe standalone.0 Helpful
Did not use kidney beans, pasta or cheese, but did add cauliflower, green beans and spinach0 Helpful
This was really tasty and an awesome way to re-use leftovers in the future.0 Helpful