Thai Chicken Peanut Noodles
with red peppers / coleslaw mix
Sweet, savory, and spicy (if you'd like), Thai Peanut Sauce makes an addictive addition to this quick and easy meal. Coleslaw mix mimics the shape and texture of noodles, so you don't need a large portion of pasta to make the dish substantial and hearty. A version of this dish was last featured in 2018.
- Ginger, fresh - 2 tsp , grated
- Peanut butter - 4 Tbsp
- Water - 5 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 1 Tbsp
- Sriracha - 1 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 4 tsp
Thai Chicken Peanut Noodles:
- Bell peppers, red - 1 , thinly sliced
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb , sliced into strips
- Garlic powder - 1 tsp
- Pasta, spaghetti or linguini - 6 oz
- Cilantro - 3 Tbsp , chopped
- Cucumbers - 6 oz , sliced (look for mini cucumbers which have fewer seeds)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Coleslaw mix - 10 oz
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Make peanut sauce - Grate ginger. Combine peanut butter and water in a microwave-safe bowl or liquid measuring cup. Microwave for ~30 seconds. Stir in ginger, rice vinegar, soy sauce, lime juice (portion for sauce), Sriracha, and brown sugar. Taste; if it’s too salty, add more water. If it’s too tart, add in more sugar. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Peppers - Slice peppers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Slice into strips and then season with garlic powder and some salt and pepper. Tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Cook noodles - Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt generously and add pasta. Cook until al dente, tender but not soggy. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Cilantro / Cucumbers - Prep as directed.
- Heat a wok or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then chicken to heated oil. Saute until golden on the outside, ~5 minutes.
- Fold in peppers and coleslaw mix and saute for another 3 to 8 minutes, depending on how crunchy or soft you like your veggies.
- Add noodles, sauce, lime juice (portion for noodles), and cilantro and toss everything together. Taste and season with more salt, pepper, lime juice, and / or hot sauce. Enjoy warm with cucumber slices on the side!