Chicken Tandooriwith cucumber and tomato salsa / naan
Chicken Tandoori is a traditional Indian dish that produces fragrant and tender chicken thanks to a marinade of spices and yogurt. Reviewers loved the depth of flavor that came from the optional step of toasting spices when this dish was last featured in 2018.
- Cucumbers - 8 oz, diced
- Tomatoes, roma - 16 oz, diced
- Cilantro - 3 Tbsp, chopped
- Lime juice - 2 Tbsp
- Coriander - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Curry powder - 1 tsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
- Cayenne - 1/4 tsp
- Ginger, fresh - 2 tsp, grated
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 6 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 1 1/2 lbs
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Foil - for broiling
- Water - 4 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 1 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Naan - 4 rounds (sub any flatbread)
- Make spice mix - Combine coriander, cumin, curry powder, paprika, turmeric, and cayenne. (Can be done ahead at any time)
- (Optional step) Toast spices: Heat a frying pan over medium heat and warm up / toast spices until fragrant. Remove from heat.
- Ginger / Garlic - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make yogurt marinade - Mix together spices with ginger, garlic, yogurt, and oil. Divide in half. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Marinate chicken - Cut slits into the chicken (to increase surface area for marinade). Cover in half of the marinade, sprinkle on some salt, and then tenderize with a fork. Marinate for at least 20 minutes and ideally overnight. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Cucumbers / Tomatoes / Cilantro / Limes - (If prepping right before cooking, get chicken in the oven before returning to prep.) Prep as directed.
- Turn on broiler and situate top oven rack so that it’s about 5” to 6” / 13 to 15 cm from the heat source. Line a sheet pan with foil. Brush off excess marinade from chicken (you want to leave some on but not too much) and arrange chicken on sheet pan. Broil for 5 to 8 minutes on each side, until chicken is cooked through to 165F / 74C.
- Make salsa by combining cucumbers, tomatoes, cilantro, and lime juice. Season to taste with salt.
- Whisk water, tomato paste, and honey into second half of marinade. Heat up over low heat until sauce is warmed up.
- Toast naan.
- Enjoy chicken with sauce. Serve lime wedges, naan, and salsa on the side.
This meal has 26 reviews
A bit bland, somehow not like restaurant tandoori. Salsa was good. The tomato sauce turned out too thin for me (maybe less water would work better).
A little bland, not sure what it needed
Super tasty!!! Will make even more sauce next time.
I thought this was great except I didn't really like the use of chicken thighs. Would probably try it with chicken breasts next time. I'm not super accustomed to cooking thighs so maybe I did something wrong? But the texture was just weird to me and I would have enjoyed it better with the breasts instead I think.
Really great and rich flavors using fresh cauli, Kite Hill vegan yogurt, no eggs for vegan fussbudget. Forgot all about the cucumber and didn't miss it.
Liked sauce quite a bit but this one was just good but not great for us. The chicken turned out good but as a whole the meal just didn't knock us out. Again, not bad just not super.