with cucumber and tomato salsa / naan
Chicken Tandoori is a traditional Indian dish that produces fragrant and tender chicken thanks to a marinade of spices and yogurt. Reviewers loved the depth of flavor that came from the optional step of toasting spices when this dish was last featured in 2018.
- Cucumbers - 8 oz, diced
- Tomatoes, roma - 16 oz, diced
- Cilantro - 3 Tbsp, chopped
- Lime juice - 2 Tbsp
- Coriander - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Curry powder - 1 tsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
- Cayenne - 1/4 tsp
- Ginger, fresh - 2 tsp, grated
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 6 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 1 1/2 lbs
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Foil - for broiling
- Water - 4 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 1 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Naan - 4 rounds (sub any flatbread)
- Make spice mix - Combine coriander, cumin, curry powder, paprika, turmeric, and cayenne. (Can be done ahead at any time)
- (Optional step) Toast spices: Heat a frying pan over medium heat and warm up / toast spices until fragrant. Remove from heat.
- Ginger / Garlic - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make yogurt marinade - Mix together spices with ginger, garlic, yogurt, and oil. Divide in half. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Marinate chicken - Cut slits into the chicken (to increase surface area for marinade). Cover in half of the marinade, sprinkle on some salt, and then tenderize with a fork. Marinate for at least 20 minutes and ideally overnight. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Cucumbers / Tomatoes / Cilantro / Limes - (If prepping right before cooking, get chicken in the oven before returning to prep.) Prep as directed.
- Turn on broiler and situate top oven rack so that it’s about 5” to 6” / 13 to 15 cm from the heat source. Line a sheet pan with foil. Brush off excess marinade from chicken (you want to leave some on but not too much) and arrange chicken on sheet pan. Broil for 5 to 8 minutes on each side, until chicken is cooked through to 165F / 74C.
- Make salsa by combining cucumbers, tomatoes, cilantro, and lime juice. Season to taste with salt.
- Whisk water, tomato paste, and honey into second half of marinade. Heat up over low heat until sauce is warmed up.
- Toast naan.
- Enjoy chicken with sauce. Serve lime wedges, naan, and salsa on the side.
Not great. The chicken was a bit tasteless even with marinating and I thought the sauce for it was not great. The salsa was what it was. I wasn't expecting a ton from it and it was fine. I had decided to make some Bombay potatoes using curry powder so ended up making a different cauliflower recipe (garlic powder, turmeric & garam masala). The cauliflower and potatoes were fantastic which made the chicken seem especially lackluster.0 Helpful
Good, solid meal. The leftovers were great. Substituted Gardein tenders to make vegetarian.0 Helpful
It was fine... not particularly memorable, but good enough. First time cooking chicken under a broiler for me.0 Helpful
This was so delicious all of my family members gobbled it up. My spouse who is not an experienced cook had a pretty easy time preparing this for us.0 Helpful
A bit bland, somehow not like restaurant tandoori. Salsa was good. The tomato sauce turned out too thin for me (maybe less water would work better).0 Helpful
A little bland, not sure what it needed0 Helpful