Cajun Mussels with Sausage and Zucchiniwith tomato broth / baguette
The flavorful tomato broth that comes from simmering mussels and sausage in this one pot dish may be the best part - be sure to get a good crusty baguette for soaking it all up.
Smarts: If you like spicy foods, use chorizo or hot Italian sausage in the dish. Otherwise, mild Italian sausage will give you all the flavor without as much spice.
- Zucchini - 1 lb, cubed
- Mussels, cleaned and debearded - 1 1/2 lbs
- Cilantro - 1/4 cup, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Italian sausage, mild or hot - 10 oz (sub chorizo)
- Tomato paste - 1 Tbsp
- Cajun seasoning - 2 tsp
- Thyme, dried - 1 tsp
- Tomatoes, diced (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Wine, white - 1/4 cup (sub stock)
- Bay leaves - 2
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Baguette, for serving - 8 oz
- Zucchini - Cube zucchini. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mussels - Clean and debeard mussels (this is usually done by your fishmonger, but in the rare case that yours did not come debearded, here’s a demo from The Kitchn). Scrub and soak in a bowl of water. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Cilantro - Chop cilantro leaves.
- Heat a Dutch oven or large saute pan with a lid over medium-high heat. Add oil and then sausage to heated oil. Cook sausage, breaking it apart as it cooks, until nearly cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add zucchini and saute until zucchini starts to soften, ~4 minutes more.
- Stir in tomato paste, Cajun seasoning, and thyme until fragrant, ~1 minute.
- Add tomatoes (including liquid), stock, wine, and bay leaves and bring to a simmer.
- Add mussels and cover. Cook, covered, until mussels have opened up, 5 to 6 minutes. (If any mussels don’t open, simply discard them.)
- Squeeze lemon juice over mussels. Taste broth and season with some salt and pepper if needed. Discard bay leaves.
- Divide mussels and broth between serving bowls. Top bowls with cilantro. Serve with baguette. Enjoy!
This meal has 12 reviews
Yummy but not our favourite CookSmarts mussels.
This was delicious! My husband, who is definitely a carnivore, gets excited when I make this. About to make it four the fourth time since published. The adults at my house love this one!
Truly excellent. Followed recipe exactly and it came out perfect.
This is quite good. I don't know if I liked the mix of zucchini and sweet potato, but overall it's good.
We swapped some shrimp for some of the mussels since I’m a big fan of mussels and my husband is not. Substitution worked well.