Mushroom, Sausage, and Butternut Squash Saute
with side salad
With butternut squash roasted ahead of time, you won't believe how quickly this elegant meal comes together. Crisp fresh sage leaves in oil to start the dish with herb flavor and then crumble the leaves over top at the end.
Mushroom, Sausage, and Butternut Squash Saute:
- Shallots - 2 cloves , diced
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Sage, fresh - 8 leaves
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz , sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Italian sausage, loose and raw - 12 oz
- Roasted Butternut Squash (leftover from Tuesday) - ~3 cups
Balsamic Arugula Salad with Apple:
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Maple syrup - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Apples - 1 , chopped
- Arugula - 6 oz
- Shallots Chop shallots. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - (Skip if made ahead for Tuesday.) Whisk together mustard, maple syrup, and vinegar. Add olive oil while whisking. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Apples - Chop apples.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat cooking oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add sage leaves and cook on both sides until they stop sizzling and are very crisp, ~ 6 minutes total. Use a slotted spoon to remove sage leaves and set them aside.
- To remaining oil in pan, add mushrooms and butter and saute until deep golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add shallots and sausage and saute, breaking sausage apart until cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in butternut squash until heated through.
- In a large serving bowl, combine apples and arugula. Add vinaigrette until dressed to your liking.
- Crumble crispy sage over saute. Enjoy with salad on the side.